An American Dj Pc-100A Rack Mount Power Switcher used on a reefkeeper’s aquarium. Photo: Amazon.com.
I picked this tip up on Gary Parr and Christine Williams’ ReefThreads #90 podcast. Their tip for managing multiple pieces of equipment on a reef tank is to use a DJ rack mount power switcher.
Christine pointed me to a very nice backlit 8-rocker switch unit on Amazon: an American Dj Pc-100A Rack Mount Power Switcher.
This unit has the following features:
- 8 lighted switches on front panel
- 15A resetable circuit breaker on front panel
- Eight 120V, 3-prong plug sockets on rear of the unit
- Ideal for switching lights and sound equipment
- 6 ft. power cord
- Maximum load: 15 amps or 1800 watts
- Dimensions: 19″ x 2″ x 5″ – single space rm
- Weight: 4 lbs.
- 120V operation
Plug this power switcher into a GFCI outlet with the mandatory drip loop and then plug in your equipment into the back of the unit. Label each switch with a short name for the piece of equipment that is plugged into it and you are set.
Now you can easily switch ON/OFF equipment for feeding, maintenance, etc and the back-lit switch will tell you at a glance if you have forgotten to turn equipment back on after maintenance.
This unit sells for $31 on Amazon.com and is definitely worth considering for your tank.