Most aquarists already know the advantages of a brushless DC pump: variable-speed, higher efficiency, reduced noise, and (theoretically) increased reliability and longevity. Deepwater Aquatics’ upcoming BLDC3 pump will tack on another “next gen” design feature: a spherical rotor, which does away with the conventional shaft/impeller/bearing assembly.
A spherical rotor is a spherically shaped magnetic rotor that “floats” inside a wear-resistant ceramic seat. The conventional shaft bearings and seals are eliminated.
With a simplified assembly, spherical rotors are less susceptible to debris or mineral build-up interfering with the pump’s operation. Alignment is also no longer a factor in this design. This should result in a pump with more reliable operation (especially at start-up), lower upkeep requirements, and even less noise. While Deepwater Aquatics does not make this claim, other spherical rotor pump manufacturers (ie medical pumps) state that spherical rotors require no maintenance and are immune to seizing up due to the nature of the assembly, although we’ll have to wait and see if this holds true for calcium-rich, corrosive seawater.
Another benefit of spherical rotors is it allows for a much more compact pump since the stator is wrapped entirely around the rotor. As you can see from the supplied drawings, the BLDC3 is very compact indeed.
Deepwater Aquatics supplied Advanced Aquarist with the following bullet-points about the BLDC3:
Features of the new BLDC3 from Deepwater Aquatics
Spherically shaped rotor is a spherically shaped Rb-Fe-B magnet embedded by stainless steel sheet with pump impeller.
Ceramic Bearing Ball
Pump rotor is held on a bearing ball made of ultra-hard and wear resistant ceramic.
Bowl Shaped Shaft
A bowl shaped shaft injected on bottom of rotor.
- Rated voltage: 12V DC
- Power consumption: 25W
- Pressure head: 9.8ft
- Maximum flow: 792gph/3000L/h
- Maximum system temperature: 140 F 60 ℃
- Connectors: 2 (inlet and outlet)
- Nominal current (@12V): 2 amps
- Motor type: Brushless, microprocessor controlled
- MTBF: 20,000 Hours
- Weight: 1.4 LB, 650g
- Compact size allows installation almost anywhere
- Software: Sine wave controlled for silent operation
- LCD showing: current, power consumption, running speed, accumulated time worked
- True sine wave control: low noise, higher efficiency, more smoothly
- 0-10V port
- Touch buttons
- Feeding model
- 2W per step
- IC memory
- Dry running protection
- Protections, over current, over voltage,
- 20-26V dc working voltage
Expected Price and Availability:
- Expected Ship date: Late Summer, 2016
- Expected Retail Price $149.99