UK’s aquarist magazine, Practical Fishkeeping, recently featured an article about their country’s most famous reefkeeper and reef aquarium.
(per Practical Reefkeeping)
- Aquarium size: 3 x 2 x 1.5m/10 x 6.6 x 5’ (L-shaped) 1.2 m/4’ deep.
- Volume: Main display aquarium, plus massive amounts of filtration, totalling 13,640 l/3,000 gal.
- Filtration: Several large protein skimmers, plus more than 1,016 kg/1 ton of live rock. Two nitrate reactors and copious amounts of phosphate remover are used.
- Circulation turnover: Fourteen times tank turnover per hour, though 2 x 11,000 gallons per hour are also constantly being pumped to and from the tank via two 0.75 horsepower pumps.
- Lighting: Several high-powered metal halide lights, plus more than 40 T5 tubes.
- Other equipment: Three computers for total automated control. Two large refrigerant coolers, one 2,000 l/440 gal per day RO unit. Nitrate reactors are dosed with 60ml/2.1oz vodka per day, each. Caulerpa algae bed in flow through reservoir. Automatic water change system.