pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Hi All,

I'm a total SW noob, but I've become fascinated by reef tanks and am starting to do research to start my own at home.

For various reasons I've decided on a 14 gallon Bio-Cube. I'm looking forward to being able to connect with other local nano-tank people and hopefully get the benefit of your experience.

My first question is where in NYC do you recommend for buying live rock?

I've seen these online services that ship live rock from Florida, and people seem really happy with them, but I think I only need 15-20 pounds of rock and the 100 pound minimum air freight surcharge is a killer. I'd be willing to do it if it's the only alternative, but I'm hoping that you can recommend some local places that have live rock that you would start a tank with.

Here's the catch - I have no car, so Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens are all pretty easy. (except during tropical storms where all mass transit gets closed down.) I can do The Bronx, but it starts getting complicated, Long Island and Westchester are a real haul and Staten Island is pretty much impossible.

Who's your LFS? Would you recommend that I get live rock there?

Thanks so much, - pb

DrMusik

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
best bet is to watch this site until something comes up that works for you. Might take a week or so but you can usually get away with 2.50-4.00 per lb here vs. 8 a lb at any LFS in the city.

BrooklynReef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Petco, Union Sq.

Petco in Union Square on 14th has good deals. I searched all over nyc and honestly it was the first and best place I found. They are getting rid of their FL rock soon. They sell it by the piece not the pound. Which works out better, especially because some are much larger than others. They have it in three sizes $10, 15, 24 (I think). I like that rock the best, it also happens to be the cheapest. They also have Fiji rock. I think its around $75 per 35lbs.

They also started in the last few months to get some really nice coral in.

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Wow - Petco - I never would have guessed...

This week I'm going to try to do a tour of the aquarium stores I found listed in Manhattan. I'll definitely give Petco a shot.

I'll also keep checking the Marketplace here, thanks for the heads up.

Any recommendations for mass transit accessible stores in NYC?

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
check out aquatic life direct, a vendor here. they are in brooklyn. they actually have a real storefront...nice people, healthy livestock plus very good price.
they can get anything for you....equipment, livestock, live rock, etc.
i think they are near public transportation. they even deliver if you purchase over a certain amount ($75 i believe).

pbjelly

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
i also have some live rock ava 3 bucks a pound lmk am located in woodhaven queens

I'm interested, but thanks to Irene, I don't know when my tank will now be delivered so I'm probably not going to be ready for another two weeks.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I just came from the Petco on Union Square and the marine section is looking a little scary and picked over.

They are having their 'dollar a gallon' sale if anybody is interested.

mrjenks

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i get most of my stuff from maximum reef aquatics good stuff and great prices, and the guys are very helpful they dont just try and sell you anything.
they are located in fleetwood mt vernon.

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0
i get most of my stuff from maximum reef aquatics good stuff and great prices, and the guys are very helpful they dont just try and sell you anything.
they are located in fleetwood mt vernon.

My first question is where in NYC do you recommend for buying live rock?

Here's the catch - I have no car, so Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens are all pretty easy. (except during tropical storms where all mass transit gets closed down.) I can do The Bronx, but it starts getting complicated, Long Island and Westchester are a real haul and Staten Island is pretty much impossible.

Who's your LFS? Would you recommend that I get live rock there?

Thanks so much, - pb

hmmm

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: