thewuf

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it would be fun to share your successes and failures with the rest of the class and talk about anything special you run across. Really invite those not doing the reactor to share your works too! Let's see the progress on those Kalkwasser Reactors, Sumps, Fish Systems, etc.

Here's some of mine:

Jigs:
jigs.jpg

New Toy:
new-toy-arrives.jpg

Package arrives and I begin - also my notebook of classwork:
pieces-and-workook.jpg

All Pieces Routed:
all-pieces-routing-finished.jpg

captexas

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tube top holes will be routed out once glued to the tube. The 2in. hole in the lid is for a refilling port and the 1/2in. is for the drain line to the tank/sump. I think in the completed reactor pic, the smaller hole is hidden behind the 2in. PVC fitting.

willyw

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me your not doing this in your living room???? I'm working on a bench in the basement and I have acrylic shavings EVERYWHERE!!!! :roll:

thewuf

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
willyw":24v4nxqr said:
Please tell me your not doing this in your living room???? I'm working on a bench in the basement and I have acrylic shavings EVERYWHERE!!!! :roll:

Sure - what's the problem?

No, the shot where you see the couch is my home office and where I stage the project from.

The other shots are in the shop - in the group shot, you can see the toolbox in the back left corner...

JeffCo

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine up for about 3 weeks, it's working great.

The pump did not fit on the base, it overhangs by a 1/2" or so.

thewuf

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this took so long, but here it is....

I screwed up mounting the box to the base and that made my pump really not fit the base, so I just re-worked the plumbing! The tapping came out great and my thumbscrews work very well. As you can see I'm missing one 90* elbow and I'll be up and running. Pics of installation to come!

reac1.jpg

reac2.jpg

reac3.jpg

reac4.jpg

ToeCutter

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I've been looking into the issue of the pump not fitting on your bases, and I think I know what went wrong. I used Lasco brand PVC fittings when I built the reactor protoype, but I ended up with Ipex fittings for class. Lasco fittings have a lower profile, and apparently the difference was enough to push the pump off the edge of the base.

I apologize for the error.

If there's anything I can do to help with the problem, please let me know. I'd be happy to cut a strip of acrylic to glue to the base as an extension, if anyone's interested in trying that.

-Bryan

ToeCutter

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing, make sure you use a street elbow, not a regular elbow with PVC pipe, above the pump, with the "spigot" end going into the bushing/union fitting.

thewuf

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the pics in this thread - I switched service providers and this folder didn't make it! I republished the reactor pics above and I'll fix the other pics when I get home!

Again - Sorry!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: