kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This guy Danny seems to be successfully keeping non-photosynthetic corals. So I thought it might be a link of interest to some of you.

http://www.marineaquarium.nl/februari-2006english.php

Dendro002.jpg
Dendro015.jpg

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
kimoyo said:
People have said they are extremely hard to keep.

I know that. I didn't say they were beautiful animals and easy to keep :bigeyes2:, just beautiful :grouphug: I have a chili coral which falls into the same category as those non-synthetic corals. I feed it about 3-4 times a week. A bit of a pain, but a stunning coral.

Russ

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have the Goniopora. I would not say difficult, but they require time and dedication. They are finnicky eaters and you have to try many different foods to keep it alive. Some non photosynthetic corals such as sun corals are a bit easier. But they do reward you with beauty!!

Reefer420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
i'm thinking about getting a sun coral in my tank at some point- its not too bad spot feeding a small tank. I think I spot feed everything in my tank in under 2 mins!

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
DaRealDvs1 said:
Herm........
what do you have the goni eating?

Rich (jackson6745) put me onto this. Take saltwater from the tank and a load of cyclopseeze and make a nasty frothy shake. You feed that with a baster slowly. It takes a while for it to realize that you are not attacking, but that you are feeding. I occasionally mix in some plankton mysis etc. The particles have to be tiny as hell tho so make sure you keep it in the blender long enough. Now the goni tries to grab brine and other things I dump in the tank. But it can only eat stuff out of the blender. Now the goni reaches out for the baster. Its quite rewarding!!

Note on Blender usage: Dont use your wifes blender - she gets very pissed!!! :headache:

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The other corals (Dendronepthea, non-photo Gorgonians etc) are the next frontier. Even large public aquariums and research facilities have not been able to claim success longterm. The article claims the animals have been in captivity for 2 months... this hardly qualifies as success in my book. Let's try 2 years... heck I'll take 1 year. Its not that I think advanced hobbyists shouldn't try, I just don't want novices to get the idea that this a doable propsition for all but the most experienced and dedicated aquarists. I would be nice though... they are gorgeous. Randy

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Very true Randy!!!
just because the Goni is eating does not mean that it will survive past the 1 year mark. I hope it will, but time will tell. Its been to short a time to tell.

Many aquarists believe that their corals such as the Goni are doing well. They see it extending, beautiful colors etc. Most dont even attempt to feed because they dont realize that it needs to. And one day all of a sudden it dtarts to shrink and end up looking like our moon. The sad part is that the Goniopora is one of the most sold and also killed corals.

Currently I spend at least 30 minutes per day on the Goni.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
prattreef said:
The other corals (Dendronepthea, non-photo Gorgonians etc) are the next frontier. Even large public aquariums and research facilities have not been able to claim success longterm. The article claims the animals have been in captivity for 2 months... this hardly qualifies as success in my book. Let's try 2 years... heck I'll take 1 year. Its not that I think advanced hobbyists shouldn't try, I just don't want novices to get the idea that this a doable propsition for all but the most experienced and dedicated aquarists. I would be nice though... they are gorgeous. Randy
I agree. Its the duration that counts. Dedication as well as knowledge is the key. keep it up dude!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
herman said:
Currently I spend at least 30 minutes per day on the Goni.

I bet if you were to dedicate a tank to just goni's you would not have to spend as much time on it. keep it in water it likes full of food :):inlove:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
jhale said:
I bet if you were to dedicate a tank to just goni's you would not have to spend as much time on it. keep it in water it likes full of food :):inlove:

Are you talking about my tank? Most of my tanks are full of food. I spent almost no time on my sun coral most of the the colonies are doing great except one.

However, I am thinking of setting a tank like you guys, crystal clear water and low nutrient water column soon.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My chili coral is now approaching 5 months and doing fantastic. It's growing and sending out its polyps every night. Still takes a bit of effort, but nothing outlandish.

I'll try to get a pic of it currently.

R

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Tonyscoots84 said:
:lol2: when next year :joke:

At least I don't post pix of my same 4 frags daily :Thinking: Are we done now? :hug:

Pix of this coral are tough. I took these tonight (yes Tony, tonight) with the lights out. The first pic is with nightlights only. The next 3 are with the flash. Either way, you can see there is full polyp extension. Color is tough to see as vivid as it is in person.

Attachments

• Chili Nightlight.jpg
    Chili Nightlight.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Chili Flash.jpg
    Chili Flash.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Chili Flash 2.jpg
    Chili Flash 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Chili Flash 3.jpg
    Chili Flash 3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 161

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: