Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Well not exactly everything but 3 pairs that I know of. Last night just before the lights went off I noticed the mandarins swimming up the back wall of the tank, the male had a twinkle in his eye and They started to spawn.
This female I bought as a very skinny young fish. The reason I bought her was to save her from the store where she would have starved. I built her a feeder that dispensed new born brine shrimp for about 2 hours a day. My tank is old and doesn't need extra food but I like to putz around and the thing worked so well and the fish like it so much that I left the thing in there.
She gradually fattened up and the old male found her yesterday.
I don't know if they spawned before and I won't be looking for the eggs in this 6' long tank.
I also have a pair of some type of stripped, red cardinals that spend all their time in a bottle, (There is a song with that name) I know they are spawning because they are also obese.
My fireclowns also spawn and the male is a 19 year old Geezer who still got it.
But they have been spawning for years.
I didn't look at the tank this morning because the lights are not on yet but I think I also added to many fish and probably exceeded the carrying capacity of the tank. This week alone I added 3 chalk bass, a glass cardinal and a large clam. I don't know how many fish are in there but I would imagine about 30 or so. I also really need to change some water but I don't think that will happen until after the new year. It has already been a couple of months, but I will get to it.
IMG_2312.jpg

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
MeanGreenEyes, I see you have a different avitar over here. The "Secret" with mandarins is food and lots of it. A very clean tank won't do it. Mandarins want to eat a pod about every 10 seconds and they don't rest until the lights go off. I don't know how many pods that is but it is a big number. Unfortunately, all of those pods with all of their food may cause water problems that also must be taken care of.
The way to take care of that is with the right types of bacteria. The kind you can collect near your home in Brooklyn. So my secret is adding bacteria from the sea or better yet, from the Long Island Sound. A few times a year I collect a handful of mud from a bay. My boat is in Port Washington and I am there all the time but any bay will do. I take the mud and put it in a dish and lay it in my tank and leave it there for a week. Then I remove it and throw it out. I just want the pods and bacteria. I shoot a little of the mud in the tank just for the heck of it.
If you are the type of person that quarantines everything this method will not work because quarantining this stuff will kill the beneficial bacteria. I would imagine if you are worried about paracites, you could keep this stuff airated for a month, then put it in.

I did invent a baby brine feeder that you can make for about a buck but you would never be able to keep a pair of mandarins on just baby brine shrimp, you would have to hatch them a couple of times a day. Mandarins laugh at a thousand shrimp.
In my reef I have a lot of small fish that rely on pods and baby brine and I also have too many fish, 28 of them in a 100 gallon tank. That is not great for water quality but I think nitrates are overrated as my SPS corals are growing all over the place and they are an indication of water quality. So for a short answer to your question about the secret, I say it is bacteria and minute life from the ocean.
Many times during the summer I go out collecting in Port Washington to a tide pool. I go with my boat and sometimes take people that want to collect. There is an article on here someplace about it. This summer if you want to come, you are welcome.
I collect amphipods which re produce all year in my tank along with grass shrimp and bacteria.
My methods scare people but that is because you can't just take one thing I do like add mud and throw that in any tank. The tank and especially the fish must be in spawning condition, not just alive and swimming. Spawning fish don't hardly ever get sick, even paracites.
Fish live in the sea which is a soup of diseases and their immune system works great but only if they are in spawning condition. I personally don't have to quarantine and have not had a hospital tank since the late 70s. Don't need one. I have found after decades of experimenting and diving that the greatest boon to fish health is live food. 2nd best is whole food, not shrimp tails or scallop. Clams, live black worms and live baby brine shrimp along with wild amphipods will do it. If I could not get live worms, I would not be in this hobby, that is how strong I feel about them and I also feel the lack of them is what generates all of the disease and problem threads.
MeanGreenEyes, you asked. :pimp:
IMG_1971.jpg

And a couple of video's

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
MeanGreenEyes, I see you have a different avitar over here. The "Secret" with mandarins is food and lots of it. A very clean tank won't do it. Mandarins want to eat a pod about every 10 seconds and they don't rest until the lights go off. I don't know how many pods that is but it is a big number. Unfortunately, all of those pods with all of their food may cause water problems that also must be taken care of.
The way to take care of that is with the right types of bacteria. The kind you can collect near your home in Brooklyn. So my secret is adding bacteria from the sea or better yet, from the Long Island Sound. A few times a year I collect a handful of mud from a bay. My boat is in Port Washington and I am there all the time but any bay will do. I take the mud and put it in a dish and lay it in my tank and leave it there for a week. Then I remove it and throw it out. I just want the pods and bacteria. I shoot a little of the mud in the tank just for the heck of it.
If you are the type of person that quarantines everything this method will not work because quarantining this stuff will kill the beneficial bacteria. I would imagine if you are worried about paracites, you could keep this stuff airated for a month, then put it in.

I did invent a baby brine feeder that you can make for about a buck but you would never be able to keep a pair of mandarins on just baby brine shrimp, you would have to hatch them a couple of times a day. Mandarins laugh at a thousand shrimp.
In my reef I have a lot of small fish that rely on pods and baby brine and I also have too many fish, 28 of them in a 100 gallon tank. That is not great for water quality but I think nitrates are overrated as my SPS corals are growing all over the place and they are an indication of water quality. So for a short answer to your question about the secret, I say it is bacteria and minute life from the ocean.
Many times during the summer I go out collecting in Port Washington to a tide pool. I go with my boat and sometimes take people that want to collect. There is an article on here someplace about it. This summer if you want to come, you are welcome.
I collect amphipods which re produce all year in my tank along with grass shrimp and bacteria.
My methods scare people but that is because you can't just take one thing I do like add mud and throw that in any tank. The tank and especially the fish must be in spawning condition, not just alive and swimming. Spawning fish don't hardly ever get sick, even paracites.
Fish live in the sea which is a soup of diseases and their immune system works great but only if they are in spawning condition. I personally don't have to quarantine and have not had a hospital tank since the late 70s. Don't need one. I have found after decades of experimenting and diving that the greatest boon to fish health is live food. 2nd best is whole food, not shrimp tails or scallop. Clams, live black worms and live baby brine shrimp along with wild amphipods will do it. If I could not get live worms, I would not be in this hobby, that is how strong I feel about them and I also feel the lack of them is what generates all of the disease and problem threads.
MeanGreenEyes, you asked. :pimp:
IMG_1971.jpg

And a couple of video's

Lol, yes I do! Meet my other pride and joy/baby, my dog, Big Boy!

Pod availability is the main reason that I plumbed in the two 30's. There are critters everywhere in both of those tanks...they're both fishless/fish are only in the main DT. I haven't updated the full system shots in a while, but there is sand/LR and several species of macro algae in both as well. I also added algagen tisbe pods last week to help give the system an additional boost. My red scooter blenny, I've had for a long time is just as fat as can be. He was still a little tiny thing when I got him. So I'm assuming my pod population is good. Though, obviously, there's always room for growth.

I only have 6 fish at the moment, and the tang will be leaving my system soon. So including him, I have the pair of clowns, red scooter blenny, algae blenny, and yellow watchman goby. And last but not least, yellow mantis in the 5ish gallon fuge in my sump...as far as livestock goes. I definitely wasn't planning on sustaining them on brine alone.

Yes, the thought of introducing possibly harmful contaminants/parasites from local waterways scares the crap out of me. My only "pair" so to speak are my clowns and they haven't spawned yet. I'd like to also add a female red scooter blenny in the future. So I think I will hold off on that part until I'm more comfortable with my system and it's abilities.

How do you feel about Wittenrich's methods of raising their fry? Have you ever tried to? It's something that I definitely want to do. I absolutely hate the way they are caught from the wild. Would love to sustain help seed a captive bred population into the community. I know, that my ambitions are high and a tad crazy...but nothing would make me happier.

Going to have a total girl moment..."Omg...awwwww! How cute they are!!" lol They are absolutely beautiful healthy specimens and are so lucky to have you!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
How do you feel about Wittenrich's methods of raising their fry?
Sorry, I never heard of Wittenrich. But I have raised plenty of fish, fresh water for about 20 years and salt for the rest of the time. I don't raise them any more but I did raise a few batches of blue devils, clownfish, bangai cardinals and a bunch of locally caught seahorses.
mandarins will be just as easy, but time consuming. All you need to do is get them in spawning condition which is easy if you feed them enough and if possable suppliment their diet every day with newborn shrimp. But when you see the female becoming fat you need to order rotifers from Florada Aqua Farms and get a culture going. After a few weeks, you will need baby brine shrimp and a tank loaded with pods. Pods won't live on their good looks alone, their populations explode if you feed them and a sterile tank is not the way to do it. Feed the pods pellets. They will multiply quickly if they eat.
If your tank is to clean, the mandarins may get enough to stay alive but they may not spawn

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sorry, I never heard of Wittenrich. But I have raised plenty of fish, fresh water for about 20 years and salt for the rest of the time. I don't raise them any more but I did raise a few batches of blue devils, clownfish, bangai cardinals and a bunch of locally caught seahorses.
mandarins will be just as easy, but time consuming. All you need to do is get them in spawning condition which is easy if you feed them enough and if possable suppliment their diet every day with newborn shrimp. But when you see the female becoming fat you need to order rotifers from Florada Aqua Farms and get a culture going. After a few weeks, you will need baby brine shrimp and a tank loaded with pods. Pods won't live on their good looks alone, their populations explode if you feed them and a sterile tank is not the way to do it. Feed the pods pellets. They will multiply quickly if they eat.
If your tank is to clean, the mandarins may get enough to stay alive but they may not spawn

I was speaking of Dr. Matthew Wittenrich who is the author of:

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/The_Complete_Illustrated_Breeder%27s_Guide_to_Marine_Aquarium_Fishes

A few articles:

http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Breeding_the_Green_Mandarin

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/breeding-mandarins

He's written a few more elsewhere, but you get the drift. I believe he's on M.O.F.I.B. as well. I've done my fair share of reading there as well, to make sure I'm prepared for this journey.

I will definitely make sure to utilize all of the information/advice that you've given me when I'm ready. Need to finish preparing and find a healthy pair so that I can start this journey.

Thank you again!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0

I don't know Wittenrich but Moe started in the hobby when I did and we both spawned our first fish in 1972.
Moe is a respected marine biologist and was writing articles in the 60s while I was in the Army.

Just don't get two males or one will kill the other. I disagree a little with his methods of feeding them pellets but that is just me. But I know you are not comfortable adding stuff from the sea so you may have to go with his method.
I like more natural methods with live foods but I am sure his method works also.

Last edited:

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I don't know Wittenrich but Moe started in the hobby when I did and we both spawned our first fish in 1972.
Moe is a respected marine biologist and was writing articles in the 60s while I was in the Army.

Just don't get two males or one will kill the other. I disagree a little with his methods of feeding them pellets but that is just me. But I know you are not comfortable adding stuff from the sea so you may have to go with his method.
I like more natural methods with live foods but I am sure his method works also.

Ok, good...then I can also use it as a point of reference.

From my understanding the only obvious way to sex them is that the male has a spiked dorsal fin and the female has a rounded one, correct? We'll see. lol There are a lot of added pollutants after Sandy. I'm willing to culture any live foods needed. I don't feel pellets are optimal and like to give my inhabitants a variety of foods.

MeanGreenEyes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
They are easy to sex and when you see two of them together you can tell them apart.

Ok, thanks again!

I am in line with Paul's method in spawning and raising baby fish. I think Paul may forgotten to tell you about where his water come from. I like ocean water for raising fish.

Wingo, thanks for the additional input/info. I do follow Paul's thread and am aware that he uses NSW, but since I am in the middle of Williamsburg (not on the water) and use ASW...I'm concerned with introducing harmful contaminants into my system. I will definitely be utilizing Paul's methods as much as possible.

For those that aren't aware, shouldn't one be concerned with all of the home heating oil, gas, etc. that was introduced to the local waterways due to Sandy on top of the additional cr@p that's usually in there?

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think Paul may forgotten to tell you about where his water come from. I like ocean water for raising fish.

She knows where I get it from, but I only get some of it from the sea, It gets heavier every year.

shouldn't one be concerned with all of the home heating oil, gas, etc. that was introduced to the local waterways due to Sandy on top of the additional cr@p that's usually in there?

You don't have to be concerned about the oil in our water system. oil floats and even a teaspoon of oil will put a slick on the water a few yards wide and you will easily see it. The ocean is full of oil as it has been seeping out of undersea wells for millions of years. The other stuff in our water may not be as forgiving and Sandy would have washed plenty of it into the sea, but Sandy was over a month ago and the ocean is a big place. I am sure that by now much of what washed in the sea from Sandy is now in Europe due to the Gulf Stream and ocean currents. I don't collect in rivers (or Williamsburg) but there is a place in Brooklyn that I do occasionally take water from. I worked on the Maritime College off the Belt Pkwy. Great water there but the best place to collect it in NY is from the Long Island ocean beaches.
Artificial water is fine but it is in essence "fake" salt water and doesn't have near the constituents of NSW. NSW has every mineral on earth in it and some from space.
Most of them are in such small amounts that they are almost undetectable and we don't know if they are important. In NSW there are also compounds that we can't test for and are not in ASW, compounds that are produced by algae. The sea is full of algae and our animals evolved in these compounds. We also don't know what is good for them but we do know that if it was always in NSW then it most likely is beneficial to the fish we keep or they would have evolved mechanisms to exclude these compounds by now like mangrove trees that live in salt water but "learned" how to exude salt from their leaves.
A cupfull of NSW from the north east is not just water, it is a living thing. A cupfull of ASW is just dead water. Take a cup of NSW from a beach and look through it, it will be full of swimming creatures. You can't buy that stuff.
I was looking closely in my tank last night trying to see if I saw any mandarin fry (not likely) and as I scanned the gravel with a flashlight in the back of my tank I saw a pile of eggs. I don't know what they are from but much to large to be from a mandarin. Anyway, as I was looking at the eggs, I noticed the gravel moving. A 1/4" amphipod came up through the gravel followed by a worm. Those larger amphipods have been living and re producing in my tank from when I started it.
I collect them in the summer and dump them in and they are all through my gravel. Tiny tube worms also also covering most of the real estate under the rocks, these things are a sign of a healthy tank. Their babies, in turn help feed other plankton that are even smaller along with corals.
Most of the life in a mature tank is minute and we tend to forget about it but that is the stuff that keeps everything else alive.
Sorry for ranting.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: