cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I was reading a book on coral farming. I am not planning to be a vendor or anything (trade most stuff) but we all want to see our corals grow and I figured I may learn something. In a small chapter he went into this 4 hours on 8 hours off lighting method. It is based on studies he says shows best coral growth is between 2 1/2 and 4 hours of the light being on. That in itself is intriguing but i instantly thought this may solve a problem i have. My tanks are in the basement which does not have air conditioning. The windows wouldn't allow me to run a vent out. I know I could run a split out but the basement is unfinished except for 20% which is my office with the tanks. Don't want to drop the cash on a split until I finish the basement. Chillers don't work because it cools the tank but the chiller heats the room up a lot which then heats the tank agin and so on down the spiral. I basically use fans controlled to come on when when the tank gets hot. I run T5's. I had LEDs which did run cooler but I didn't like the growth with them and T5's aren't that much hotter. I am thinking if I ran the lights on the frag tank from 7:30am - 11:30am then 7:30pm - 11:30pm I may get increased growth according to the studies the book noted and also have my lights off during the hottest parts of the day.

Thoughts???

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Interesting...I'd be up for giving this a shot, might make the fish go bananas though...

Run from 7am - 11am..then 7pm - 10:30pm. This would be pretty cool, allowing 8 hours of light and during the coolest parts of the day. Did it mention how this affects fish?

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Here is the article this is based off. http://www.tau.ac.il/lifesci/departments/zoology/members/benayahu/documents/93.pdf

I did a google search earlier and found a bunch of people trying this. I have read through a few. Most said they saw increased growth. None that I saw yet reported adverse effects. What i am worried about is my fish in there. People have stated they are fine but still worried I am going to drive them crazy.

Going to try this starting tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it goes.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm tagging along also. I read something about this a while ago. I don't remember where or the name of the article but I do remember something about coral only using 4 hours of light. It would be nice to be able to cut down on the heat and electricity

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Though I am far from a scientist, I fail to see how one can use a single scientific study whose intent has nothing to do with coral growth--it is about the internal biological clock of one particular species of Zoox, in one particular soft coral, to extrapolate a rationale for radically rethinking that way we light our tanks.

Whether or not this makes coral grow faster I can't say, but I can say with extreme confidence that I do not know a single advanced aquarist ( and I humbly submit I know most of the nationally respected folks personally) that practices this approach.

And let me be clear here-- cutting down photoperiod or cutting down the time of the intense lights but still running other lighting is not what is being suggested here.

If you want to talk about it in biological terms, supposedly growth occurs during the non-photo period, hence lights off.
Considering that in nature the most intense light is probably around 6 hours or so cutting it down to 4 shouldn't be much of an issue and you will be squeezing in two "growth periods" into a single day. You could even do 6 on, 6 off twice and there's a full day.
I've been doing this on my 3G nano and it works out pretty well for me because it becomes a good alarm clock in the morning but then they're on again when I get home. But then again, all I have in the tank are little frags, so I'm not sure how it would work with fish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: