cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I picked up a Gigantea Carpet yesterday. I have been researching carpets for awhile just never pulled the trigger. My LFS got a beautiful gray/silver with white stripes in yesterday and gave me a deal I couldn't pass up. It looks to be about 12''. Appears to be healthy.

The carpet is in a 90g tank right now. Very little coral in the tank and the only ones by the carpet is are a few random nuclear green and common zoas. Maybe 10-12 randomly growing on the rocks. I dose Calc and Alk with BRS dosers through my Apex. Test twice a week and my Alk is constant at 9.2 dkh and my calc is 430. Ammonia and Nitrites at 0. Nitrates and Phos are very low. I run eco-bac biopellets and carbon. Skimmer is a AquaC EV-180 overpowered with a mag 9.5. Works well but probably going to upgrade soon. The system consists of a 90g display (carpets home), a 30g sump and a 45g frag tank all plumed together. The lights in the 90g is 6 54w T5's currently on a 8 hour cycle. 3 ATI Blue+, ATI Pure Antic, ATI Purple+ and an ATI Aquablue Special. Flow is currently 2 MP40's on reefcrest random. Thinking of updating these to two WP-40's. Tank has been running for two years. Currently dose (besides calc and alk) Fauna Marin Colors and Fauna Marin Reef Vitalizer. Salinity is at 1.026. Tank has an ATO.

I have a RBTA in the tank on the opposite side that has been in the tank for well over a year. I have a Chevron Tang, pair of Melanarius wrasses, small foxface, pair of pecula clowns hosting the RBTA, a mandarin, a filefish, a Lemonpeel Angel and a small pair of skunk clowns. The skunks jumped right into the carpet and are very happy with him. All the fish except for the skunks spend almost all their time at the other end of the tank. The carpet has fastened his foot already half under the sand and half against the left wall. He was opened up this morning with the skunks hosting. I have had luck with anemones in the past with the exception of LTA. I have had two and neither lasted long. Couldn't figure out what was the problem. One was a rescue that was in pretty bad shape. He was in a guys sump and was shriveled. He lasted 3-4 months and never really fully recovered. The next I got from a LFS and died within a week. That one may have been sick when I got him but can't be sure. Started the biopellets and Fauna Marin stuff since then so my water quality is a lot better now.

In regards to feeding, how often do you feed and what? This guy is fairly large so I know he will need a bunch. I have xl sinking pellets for carnivores. Would I be able to feed him these? My idea is he would get the nutrients and protein without the bones and waste of silversides. Thoughts?

Any advice would be appreciated. I have done a bunch of research but more info is always good from people that successfully keep them.

I will post pics after the lights come on.

PHILYD1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
just pray every night before bed that it dosnt decide to go for a walk around your tank, for most part they stay put but i had one move one night after 2 years in same spot, it took out a lot of sps and anything else in its path

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Ok so I believe it is a Haddoni not a Gigantean. One thing I did notice while checking it out is it appears to have a baby growing out of the stalk. Is this normal? Here are the pics. Excuse the quality of the pics
icon_smile.gif

IMG_1079_zps3eab72d1.jpg

IMG_1080_zpsa4d6f737.jpg

IMG_1081_zps76abb3b3.jpg

The Baby
IMG_1082_zps06eed1e9.jpg

IMG_1083_zpsf07ebfa5.jpg

Last edited:

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
just let it be and it will thrive it just needs time to recover from transportation and different tanks. Its a very nice haddoni.

budding has never been seen really in captivity so if you keep up the good husbandry, you may be a lucky person.

cryptics

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
just let it be and it will thrive it just needs time to recover from transportation and different tanks. Its a very nice haddoni.

budding has never been seen really in captivity so if you keep up the good husbandry, you may be a lucky person.

It would be really cool if the bud does become a new carpet. It is under a rock though and gets no light and is very hard to see. It has tentacles with the same pattern. I can see the outside rim. Wish I could see it direct to see if it formed a mouth. I have found a few people state that their Haddoni budded but haven't found one account of it being "born". Hopefully this will be the first. Are their any vitamins or other additives that may help it (Selkon ect...)

RARECLOWNSNJ

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Selcon added to food can be helpful. I would just let it go and let natures take its course.

Alot of times the bud is a result of injury but in your case because of where it is on the coloum, im pretty sure its a bud.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Carpet looks great but it doesn't look like a gigantea at all more a striped haddoni... Either way good luck with it!!! And that baby carpet is the cutest hope it pulls thru! That would be awesome I have never seen that before!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: