ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
okay.. so i have some pix on here of what the plan is... But many of you may know better of what to do, or may have better ideas...
I would like to take the wall inbetween the two open doors completely out.. Install a header for support and place the tank evenly with the removed wall.... That way it is visible on both sides... I would like to put everything as far as plumbing in the basement (fuge and everything else)

some questions

1. What is everythiing I need, lol, i know its a lot
im thinking, tank, lighting(i want t'5 or maybe a combo) skimmer, fuge, heater, sand, rocks,pumps?

2... I want to redo my floors which are wood... Do i do it before or can it be done after? I everntually will being doing large tiles and i would like to tile around it, i guess?

3. I guess i will need supports in the basement as well?

this is the start, and i know i can find some good info here, thanx guys

(for some reason my pic keeps failing to open) i will try again later)

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Ducati, I don't have any answers for you concerning what you are asking, but would like to put my .02 in. I would tile where the tank is going to sit as well not just around it.;) Also I would refinish the floors, and install the tiles before I'd get the tank. My think is that I wouldn't want the fumes from the chemicals getting sucked in to the tank. And the tiles to me would be much better under the tank because there is always some kind of leak with tanks.:) But that is JMO.
Best wishes with this build.... I'm jeleaous.....

mckostya

Lovin', is what I got.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
one of the best attributes of project manager is to plan plan and plan!!
do you have an estimate how much this project is going to cost you??
smashing the walls is the easiest part, so before you do it. plan. decide what tank, what lights, where and how...seriously.

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i think you need to first check if your floor will handle that much weight and if the tank will be resting on multiple beams before you even begin knocking walls down

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
people under estimate the amount a floor will hold , most if not all floor joyces are 2x8's a empty pop can can hold 250+ lbs you should find out the direction of the floor joyces, depending of depth of tank might matter for lighting and type of corals you plan to keep or how low in the tank for placement, think once you come up with a tank size and dim we might be able to help you more

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
bingo. It will cost you a lot if you don't have a plan (mostly to fix things you should have planned for).

one of the best attributes of project manager is to plan plan and plan!!
do you have an estimate how much this project is going to cost you??
smashing the walls is the easiest part, so before you do it. plan. decide what tank, what lights, where and how...seriously.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I TOTALLY AGREE... THIS IS WHERE MY PLAN IS STARTING.. THE DOWNSTAIRS basement has metal beams right where the tank would sit.. I will put an extra one or two in also.
i can go about 7 ft wide with the tank so i have to start looking, that might be custom...
i have to have someon look at the wall and make sure a header and beams are enough to support the wall also

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Measure the available area to place the tank. including ceiling height.
2. Price out what size tank will fit in that area.
3. Hire a licensed Architect or Engineer to do structural calculations for the header & floor joists.
4. Install temporary shoring to support existing floors while installing new header and reinforcing floor.
5. Remove shoring.
6. Install rough electric & plumbing and get them inspected by the city.
7. Install gyp. bd. & flooring.
8. Install tank stand, tank & canopy.
9. Install plumbing & lighting for the tank and test for leaks.
10. Paint or stain stand & canopy.
11. Re-finish floors
12. Fill tank with saltwater, rock, sand and cycle.

Galantra

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I'm a bit naive when it comes to bigger tanks, but how the heck do you do a water change on a tank that big?!?!

With my new system plan on running a dentrifier and phos remover to lessen the totally amount of WTC that i would be doing. Also my sump will be located in my basement where a sink and drain will to help refill and empty my tank.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
1. Measure the available area to place the tank. including ceiling height.
2. Price out what size tank will fit in that area.
3. Hire a licensed Architect or Engineer to do structural calculations for the header & floor joists.
4. Install temporary shoring to support existing floors while installing new header and reinforcing floor.
5. Remove shoring.
6. Install rough electric & plumbing and get them inspected by the city.
7. Install gyp. bd. & flooring.
8. Install tank stand, tank & canopy.
9. Install plumbing & lighting for the tank and test for leaks.
10. Paint or stain stand & canopy.
11. Re-finish floors
12. Fill tank with saltwater, rock, sand and cycle.
..........13.Tell kids, college fund is gone! :splitspin

da5speed

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
PLAN PLAN PLAN. Im in the middle of building a sump room to run the filters in the basement my self. I went back and forth with ideas just keep asking question after question and try to get as many ideas as you can to back maintenance easy. As for the floor. Can post a pic of both sides of the wall your planning on using also.

rafal07013

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
24   2   0
Plan and ask questions. I would visit few people and steal ideas. When I did my upgrade I spent weeks on MR and RC looking at solutions/problems people had and how they solved. it has taken me about 4 months to get everything in and about 2 months to build the way I wanted to have.

+1 on college fund.

Briney Dave

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of planning should include visiting people who are keeping tanks the size you are interested in as well as very similar live stock. Personal visits are very powerful teachers. I had read a ton, ran a set-up for a couple years with modest success yet learned a ton by visiting a master keeper.

then start to piece things together. Ask specific questions such as " if I wanted to keep this sort of acro; how much flow do I need and what sort is ok, smooth or does it have to wave around, what light level will work best. What sorts of guys should not be in this type of tank."

Collect those detailed questions and responses and you will avoid so many of the same pit falls that many of us fell into by not asking enough at the begining.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
yeah.. i hear ya guys... well... i do have the pic, but for whatever reason it wont upload... the main problem i am concerned with is the floor. i really would like to do the tile first.. but thats not for a couple of years.. im still researching and pricing everything out.. the construction part is actually easy.. its the tank and plumbing in which i am clue less.. i will try to get the pics asap..
i just moved into the house not too long ago.. either it will be done, but like i said.. the flooring is the issue im having
ugh

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
update.. i really dont want to tile then place the tank and tile around later on...

so, i'll be upgrading to a 100+even 200 gallon... put it in front of the wall... then take it apart again when i am ready for the large tiles in a couple yrs... ugh

at least this way i can still plan.. i'll have pix of my 70 before the breakdown and pix of the new one as soon as i get it!

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I would tile after tank is up around it because you dont want to crack your brand new tile floor. If you can afford it try led lighting if not ho t5 is great. I would also have some 4x4 put up in basement from floor to celing under some cross boards holding the floor up so your floor does not start to bow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: