SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
So I got what is suppose to be a watermelon chalace coral today.. but the coloration seems a little off.

It looks way to dark. Almost like poo. The tissue seems ok.. and it isnt injured..

Will a chalice sulk and turn dark like that during shipping?

Just currious.

B.

Len

Advanced Reefer
All the ones I've seen (including mine) ship very well and arrive with the brilliant colors you see in pictures. There are a lot of "fake" watermelon chalices being offered, some of which are very nice but some of which are a far cry from the original colony; You might want to check the pedigree on the one you got.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
hmm

Stupid question here, but how much tissue expansion does a chalace normally exhibit under good conditions?

Right now mine is pretty much pointy skeleton. Tissue is still there and in tact, but just not blown up like I would like to c.

B

A

Anonymous

On a lot of the pink/red echinos the growth edge has a distinctly gray cast to it. That may be the entire issue here, if you got a frag. In which case yes, expect it to color up as it grows a bit.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Most chalices don't expand much - a couple of mm at most. The watermelon chalice, when swelled, isn't noticably bigger, but the corallites do become masked by the tissue.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Hmm, I don't expect it to be a real watermelon to tell you the truth :) It was advertised as such.. but we shall see.

If anyone has one.. post a pic for me :)

Len

Advanced Reefer
Here was mine before it bleached:
watermelon2_148.jpg

The corals are accurate and even more intense under bluer lights.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hear about your chalice troubles. However, even though I see lots of vendors blame the discrepancy between what landed at the customer vs what was pictured as "shipping stress", IME a coral isn't going to drastically change colors just cause it was shipped overnight.

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Interesting. That looks exactly like my chalice that was sold as an Alien-Eye-Chalice. It was a little bowner than that but now has that colouration, a really bright growth ring (a little more "luminous" than the what I see in your picture and the green/yellow eyes.

I must get a good photo sometimg to have you lot tell me it's a fake-watermelon chalice :) I thnk I spent 40$ on it (high for me, but the green looked really stunning in the store.)

-Adrian

steveweast

Active Reefer
There are several watermelon pedigrees out there....but....as the name implies.....the field should be a bright pink/red.... the growing edge should be bright green.... and the eyes should be a green/yellow. This isn't one of the pedigrees....it was a wild colony; but, it gives you an idea as to the coloration required to be in the "watermelon" genre.

echino1.jpg

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
It was. Thats what's confusing. The coral has all the shape and so forth of the one on the webpage, its just a different color. The webpage pic was under 20k and I have 14K, but it shouldnt make THIS much difference.

I'm convinced its stress related now. I've observed a few more signs of coral stress since I last posted. Tank is in good shape, so it should come around shortly though.

B

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: