BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
In your opinion, are they any easier or faster than using the drops? I know that they are a little bit more accurate. The reason that I ask is because I ordered a refractometer, which is nice to have but honestly it's easier to just use the hydrometer. It is nice to have a second, and different method for measuring the salinity though.

Are you talking about salinity or Po4? I think you're confused. A refractometer that is calibrated with calibration fluid (NOT RODI water) is far more accurate than your hydrometer for measuring salinity.

If you don't have an ATO you would be FAR better served to spend the $ on an ATO than a Hanna Po4 meter at this point... Just my .02

ZippysFunLand

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm more asking about the Hanna testers in general, compared to the drops and powders. The refractometer vs hydrometer was just as an example of one testing method vs another.

I have an inexpensive hydrometer, i think it cost about $50 plus the calibration fluid. I remember one day that it was giving me wonkey results and i lost faith in it (even after calibrating it twice), but i haven't had problems with it since. Aside from that one day though, my hydrometer and refractometer always agree with each other.

As for the ATO, i prefer to make sure that I know how to get the water correct myself before i start automating robots to do it for me ;)

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I suggest you figure out the difference between a hydrometer and a refractometer. They both measure salinity but are two different pieces of equipment. Good luck getting your water right. If you read up on ATO's you will find out they will keep your salinity far more stable than anyone ever could.

Officially signing off this thread. Good luck

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
.02 phosphates or phosphorus is too low for mixed reef tanks.

Don't use a test kit that is meant for high readings. If your phosphate reading is so high that you think you need a high reading test kit, by just looking at the tank you should be able to see that you have a problem.

The point of a TDS meter is to alert you of when filter media needs to be replaced, pressure gauge tells you when certain filters are clogged.

Don't chase phosphate down to .02 for anything, keep it under control .05 to .15ish and just clean your glass a little more often.

Hanna checker is fine if you follow instructions.
Other test kits leave too much to be guessed with the color results, what is a rich color to me may be a light and pale color to you.

Don't chase numbers or do, fastest way to find out how quickly so many things die with low phosphates including SPS.

Skaters216

Reefing for My Kids!
Rating - 100%
104   0   0
My point was I think the hanna checker is not reading the correct levels I tested with it again and it read 44, at that level my tank should be green I only clean my glass twice a week, the other test kits both read at very low levels from what my eyes can tell with the color charts. I contacted Hanna but email replied they are still on Christmas vacation so I will wait and see what their response is when they return

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: