You should avoid them. First because when their battery is low, they have a tendency to start beeping loudly in the middle of the night. Second because it is way better to just use the aquarium made ones that plug into your controller. Otherwise you are losing a lot of energy turning 12V into 110V into 12V again.I'm considering getting a UPS, uninteruptable power supply, which are used for computers. They are basically a seal lead acid battery, like your cars, and are usually plugged into the wall, with the computer plugged into it. They kick in where theres a power drop. They were designed to keep your PC running for X amount of time, depending on the battery size, but I think the smallest one can keep my 3W powerheads going for as long as you can run your radio, while the engines off.