TrIsTaTe05

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
hey buddy i would def check your mag, your corals could def being closing up due to the fact that your mag is extremley low being that you dont test it. try to get it to the 1200 to 1300 range that would help your corals big time.

I keep everything at

ALK 8-9
CAL 420-450
MAG I dont test for it
PH 8.1 - 8.3
I do 10-20% water changes every 1.5 weeks
I also dose Garlic directly to the tank before feeding.

There is actually a real difference. ive watched my growth patterns over the past 4 months and this truely is doing something. Ill take the same pictures in a week or two and post them up here for compare. But I am amazingly pleased with the results of 4 days.

The RTBA is loving it also. And i couldn't care less about the effects on the xenia or little leather. The effects on SPS are not current visible.

hktoez

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I've been dosing for about 2 months. I've seen some pretty growth.. However, i started dosing b ionic 2 part calcium at the same time.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I'm going to chime in here. About a week ago I started dosing 1/4 tsp of buffered sodium absorbate twice a day. After about 2-3 days I started noticing the colors on my corals really start to pop. My skimmer started really pulling out about double what it was doing and my ultra acans which were pretty much done (due to a crash over the summer) have started to color up after months of just white flesh surrounded by coraline covered skeletons. I just bought a 3 lb tub of sodium absorbate. I am a real believer... this may only be anecdotal but I don't care, it works for me. I would even go so far as saying this is the single quickest (I know the saying) good thing that has ever happened to my tank.

-James

Ben251

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I stopped dosing it because it was clogging my filter socks so fast. Also there was a lot of slime starting to build up in my tank. Although i did see that all of my zoas were looking incredible and all the ones that were closed up started opening. Everything really colored up for me and they still are even after i stopped dosing. I think i will do it once in a while though.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
The skimmer starts pulling a lot of gunk because of the bacteria blooms that the vit c causes (this is also the reason your corals look so good), the bacteria has beneficial effects on the coral but will cause your skimmer to work harder.

CoralMeister

The Flying Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Vitamin C is good for frag tanks IMO. Aids in regeneration after cutting, and gives a good head start on growth. I've also noticed that vitamin C gives my zoanthids much more brighter color than before. You can also mix some Vitamin C with the food you feed your fish. I usually chop up some garlic, mixed with vitamin C and mysis. I use the Solgar Vitamin C you can find in gnc. I don't really recommend the Kent Marine C, it is too concentrated.

Macropora

Zoa Echino Aficionado
Rating - 100%
725   0   0
Vitamin C is good for frag tanks IMO. Aids in regeneration after cutting, and gives a good head start on growth. I've also noticed that vitamin C gives my zoanthids much more brighter color than before. You can also mix some Vitamin C with the food you feed your fish. I usually chop up some garlic, mixed with vitamin C and mysis. I use the Solgar Vitamin C you can find in gnc. I don't really recommend the Kent Marine C, it is too concentrated.

Is there a particular dosage you use for the frag system you have? Once a day, week, etc...

Freespool

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I started using vitamarin c from brightwell about a month ago and have noticed a huge difference in my coral colors and no ill effects so far. i dose everyday per the directions on the bottle. my skimmer is not working any different.

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
if i was you, i will check the Mg. (in special for Xenia) Vit. C is also a source of carbon, not sure how much is in that product ( Kent Marine C) , check the Nitrate, also PO4, than if u good , no need of Vit. C, LPS they need some Nitrate, by using Vit. C to much u got chance to got Cyanobacteria.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
if i was you, i will check the Mg. (in special for Xenia) Vit. C is also a source of carbon, not sure how much is in that product ( Kent Marine C) , check the Nitrate, also PO4, than if u good , no need of Vit. C, LPS they need some Nitrate, by using Vit. C to much u got chance to got Cyanobacteria.

Vio, this is a very old thread.
Aside of that; I have been adding vitamin c along with vitachem & selcon to my fish food for years. Never seen any ill effects.;) Oh, and I use Kent Marine Vit. C.

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Vio, this is a very old thread.
Aside of that; I have been adding vitamin c along with vitachem & selcon to my fish food for years. Never seen any ill effects.;) Oh, and I use Kent Marine Vit. C.

your correct awi very old thread, but the benefits of the Vit C are very good. Maybe we should start this thread up again.

james1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
i have been dosing brightwell Vit-C for about 3 months but only once a week 5ml. I only have about 40gal TWV full of SPS and mixed reef. To the day, I have not seen any negative responses due to it but it could be that im using a small amount.

even with the 5ml I notice a difference in my zoa's color and growth. I target feed it to them. I also put a few drops on the cube of frozen mysis to boost my fish's immunity.

its hard to get zoas to grow in a SPS tank because the water is too dam clean, so I contribute some growth to Vit-C

Alex

Pretzel in Orange M&M
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
i have been dosing brightwell Vit-C for about 3 months but only once a week 5ml. I only have about 40gal TWV full of SPS and mixed reef. To the day, I have not seen any negative responses due to it but it could be that im using a small amount.

even with the 5ml I notice a difference in my zoa's color and growth. I target feed it to them. I also put a few drops on the cube of frozen mysis to boost my fish's immunity.

its hard to get zoas to grow in a SPS tank because the water is too dam clean, so I contribute some growth to Vit-C

Try the unbuffered Vitamin C mentioned in the RC thread.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: