jerl77

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
getting into chalice coral hard.buy all that i see where do is the best place to place for the best color .i have bulb t5 set up and the tank is 24 deep. i heard low light brings out the best color is this true?where do you place yours?

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
all chalices are not the same. Some like more light, some like more flow and also depends on your lighting. too many variables. first get the chalices. then post a pic of it and it's name and i'm sure you would get more info on placement. "note" (example) ppl might say in my tank it likes high light low flow to give you an idea of where to go with it.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
What took you so long? You don't know what you are getting yourself into my friend. That's how it starts with chalices. You aquire one frag and then before you know it your whole tank is full of chalice frags.:D
Dave is right all chalices are different. I have some that hate light all together while others bask full light. Some are placed on the sandbed while others higher at all different heights in my tank and it's 21 inches high. Get it post a pic and what type it might be. If your not sure of the name there are plenty of chalice collectors(you know who you are) on this site that would know what it is so don't worry.
Just to give you an example. My friend had this chalice frag that I liked. He had it under t5s and it looked sorta blue/gray and a little purple. When I put it uder my 150w mh 14k it was like I hit the lotto. It colored up to be purple /gold with pinkish eyes. I can only imagine it under something else. We also had this same chalice frag but at the time I had it under 10k and his was under the t5s. It looked better in his tank.

Dace

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.7%
393   1   0
My friend had this chalice frag that I liked. He had it under t5s and it looked sorta blue/gray and a little purple. When I put it uder my 150w mh 14k it was like I hit the lotto. It colored up to be purple /gold with pinkish eyes.

Harry, i want my chalice back.........lol

bbreef240

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
i hear that...i have a couple of big colonys in my 240 reef ....and now im setting up a 90 gallon just so i can start filling it up with only chalices....omg it is so addicting...it never stops...just when you think you ran out of room for stuff ..the upgrade comes to mind and man i have upgraded more times...anyway good luck with the chalices ....welcome to the party..lol

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
For me, I have 2 chalices and they seem easy to care for. I had a problem with wanting to place corals under a HOB filter that gave a water flow effect into my tank. Seems most SPS don't like that location on top of tank in back. However, my chalices like that location. They also are growing fast.

PS. When it comes to placement of chalices or any corals, it depends on tank, lighting, flow, etc. For me, I have drilled holes in all areas of my live rock. I put corals on plugs that can move through out the tank. So by watching the corals, I can tell when they are doing good or bad and I move them up and down in the tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: