Are we getting too crazy with designer names for corals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Gorilla Nipples always cracks me up :D

I agree 100% that it is out of control. I hate what it has become. Hobbyists used to search for the correct scientific name of a coral, now most popular corals are thrown in vague categories such as "lemonades, sunsets, bonsai, superman" and MANY MANY other fabricated names. It is also disappointing to see so many guys feeding into marketing by paying huge amounts of cash for Tyree and other popular lineage corals.
What I really don't get is the amount of hobbyists paying so much money for one or two heads of a chalice frag. If these chalice lost their resale value would guys be paying so much for them?

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Just Zoas... Black people eaters, Rasta.. Come on now... Someone somewhere finds this disrespectful...

Yeah u have a point. the name BPE is so wrong.

Since there were red, orange, green, purple and other color people eater, and going by color + PE as the type of zoa.. the outcome was BPE.

I guess the person who came up with that name wasnt intended to disrespect anyone.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Most Designer coral also hold its value due to rarity. It separate collectors item from the regular LFS wholesaler wild corals
all of these corals were collected from the wild sometime. and how many people really can prove lineage ? i mean here is a example. tyree Montipora palawanensis, this truelly isnt a tyree piece his came from a lady in boston which is where mine came from as well, does this make mine better then tyree's ? most designer names are easier to remember then scientific names. ive also seen same coral named 10 different names depending on which store has it. and in all honesty, how many corals are truelly rare ?

lazibonez

Senior Newbie
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
all of these corals were collected from the wild sometime. and how many people really can prove lineage ? i mean here is a example. tyree Montipora palawanensis, this truelly isnt a tyree piece his came from a lady in boston which is where mine came from as well, does this make mine better then tyree's ? most designer names are easier to remember then scientific names. ive also seen same coral named 10 different names depending on which store has it. and in all honesty, how many corals are truelly rare ?

True, i knew someone would say all coral came from the sea orginally.. lol

I too think the linkage thing is alittle too much, and hard to prove. But when people pay top dollars for a tyree coral, they will list it as such when they sell. There are still alot of rare corals out there, I dont know how many LFS new shipments include any watermelon chalices, most watermelon chalices are aquacultured and pass down by collectors. LFS can call things whatever they want because most arent even hobbyists, its more of a business.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Yeah u have a point. the name BPE is so wrong.

Since there were red, orange, green, purple and other color people eater, and going by color + PE as the type of zoa.. the outcome was BPE.

I guess the person who came up with that name wasnt intended to disrespect anyone.

Purple, green, orange, and red don't directly represent a race of people...

I'm callin Al.. You know I got him on speed dial,,lol.. But seriously it's not right..

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I think using the designer name to indicate a color pattern/morph is an excellent way of communicating between hobbyists and even industry peers. Showing a pic of the coral is just as good as how well a pic is taken/modified by the seller.

Is there a reason to pay higher for a CLAIMED lineage is upto the buyer.

Buyer paying higher dollars for a color he likes more is same as a buyer who like to pay more for "RARENESS(that translate to things he has not seen much)". You pay what you value most. Some one value color more while someone value "rareness" more and some one value growth form more. I have customers who care more about the size than colors of the coral. There are also some customers who value the shape of the coral/stone/skeleton shape more than anything else.

Watermelon Chalice is not that rare to me-may be it's rare in the other side of the community though-depends on the resources. I have seen shipments of them couple times in last 3 months since I come back from Kansas(note this does not imply they are not aquacultured.) I, usally, is not a saint to support aquacultured corals by paying higher price but I will still pay good price for my first(last) pcs of Water Melon Chalice as I like how it looks. A lot of corals nowadays are aquacultured in the ocean, not just in one's home tank. Realized a lot of the newer montis these two three months that come in large squares and all fully encrusted even to the back? Some rectangular monti are as big as 6" x 4" standing at a single corner on a big frag rock with 360 degree encrusting? Lately, aquafarmers have already done so much ocean aqua farming without reefers awaring, much like the clam industry back then.

Vendors, have you noticed clams that come from certain exporters are ALWAYS one sized and the shells are extremely cleaned? They are aquacultured in the ocean since years and years back(much longer than I started my own SW tank.) But many reefers still think that they are ONLY wild collected. One more note, a lot of these clams larve come from government sponsored fisheries. In fact, I would like to see designer names for clam color patterns too so that we know how to trade/describe certain clams to other people.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: