JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Dangit am I sad today...my beautiful (and expensive) warpaint trach is no longer with us :( as well as my not-as-beautiful green lobo. They started to bubble up and deteriorate...possible the brown jelly stuff? Anyway, when I asked the guy I had gotten the trach from a while back, he said it could've been my sarcophyton toadstool leather that killed them. I had never made the connection, but the same "disease" had happened to a frag of green favia I had and then my leather closed up...and this time my leather closed up as well...but apparently they do this after releasing their toxic "net" of sorts? Any input is greatly appreciated!

cmor1701d

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's a small tank and/or the leather is very close to other coral I don't think chemical warfare is at play here. Leathers tend to shed when necessary (debris buildup, algae growth) and then open up again. Though they do play at chemical warefare it is with very close neighbors. Good flow, turnover and a good skimmer help in that regard.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Sorry to read about your brains Jonny!

Sounds more like the "Brown Jelly" decease to me then warfare between the leather coral and the brains. Your leather may be reacting to the toxins being released by the lps die off.:(

anthony27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.7%
88   3   0
I agree with awildia treat the tank and I am sorry for your loos I would be up to if my brain coral too the road less traveled down to the bright white light of excoskeltondom. I know thousand island fragged the lobos he had so you could look into that but all in all I am very sorry

JonnyIce

Used as bait
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
appreciate the input everyone. that damned skimmer is frustrating me (as noted in another thread)...I'm thinking I may have to give up on it and get a different one...I have the tunze9002 and I just cant get it to work correctly...problem is with the biocube i BELIEVE my only other option is a sapphire?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
could they have stung each other...I know lobos can do damage to the corals around them.

Interesting question Karman! I have been wondering this myself, perhaps someone can chime in.....

Can/will lobos & wellsos sting each other? Should we be placing them away from each other? I ask because many times I group corals together, such as my frogspawns are next to each other, my torches are next to each other, as well as my hammers, blastos are with blastos, acans are with acans so on, and so on....

So can brains be together, or do they need distance between them?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Can/will lobos & wellsos sting each other?

Yes they can. If they're close enough one will reach out and attack the other coral with its stingers. It will and can kill the other coral. So you need to give Lobos some space around other corals. The good thing is they don't reach out that far but they will kill what they can reach.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Just to make sure my feable brain is grasping this correctly:

A lobophyllia can, and will attack a wellsolophyllia, and vice a versa!!! Time to go move my 2 a little further apart.

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
their stingers are "ribbon-like" and come out of their flesh from anywhere, most likely the sides near the other corals...and they attach that ribbon to the coral...it looks as if they are sucking the juice of the other coral.

I a lobo that attacked anything within a 1" radius, even a zoa poylp.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: