Cibo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How do you get Montipora capricornis to grow with that layered cup look I had one it just grows flat it incrusted the rock and grew right off the rock

Eleven11

11:11
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So with good flow, one can expect it to grow in layer like in jasons picture? A nice layered cap can make a world of difference in the look of any tank.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
there r ways to induce the cap to get to be cup shaped. lay the cap flat n position the flow to be just above it n gradually raise the flow or lower the cap.
the idea is allow the cap's growth pattern to chase the flow.

note: the cap also need good random water flow so detritus does not settle inside the cup.

coralnut99

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be a bit tricky to do, but if you can stand the frag up, it will tend to swirl first.

I set mt frags in small 1X1 slate tiles that come in a sheet at Lowes, etc. With caps I take the tile and run it over the edge of my bench grinder to cut a v-shaped groove. I stand cap frags up in the groove and they've consistantly started to swirl way before they encrust. You could achieve the same thing with a file since slate is very soft.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: