ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
http://aquaticauction.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?sid=151&auctionId=203052

click that link. look at the price that won at.
then go into number of bids.
then scroll down and look at the highest bidder. notice that the winner is the same name as my mr name?

just incase you dont feel like it, here it is for you to see...

BID HISTORY:
Bidder Bid DateBid Amount Quantity Winning Bid ryangriederApr 2, 2010 10:13:06 PM EDT$33.00 1
check.gif
btuck77Apr 2, 2010 10:06:04 PM EDT$25.00 1
button-remove.gif
T-dubbApr 2, 2010 09:49:46 PM EDT$17.00 1
button-remove.gif
frankkApr 2, 2010 09:46:42 PM EDT$9.00 1
button-remove.gif
T-dubbApr 2, 2010 09:34:10 PM EDT$1.00 1
button-remove.gif

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Honestly I dont even target feed it that often. I used to in the begining. It gets whatever the tank gets: frozen mysis, daphnia, pellets too!, arctipods etc

It stays open during the day too. I dont have it shaded either, I know its not photosynthetic but I dont think it needs to stay shaded.

When its closed up it just looks like black velvet.

Target feeding will help it grow & multiply faster.
Many sun corals (whatever color) will/do stay open during the day. They can be 'trained' to open during the day as well if you feed them at the same time each day.

They are not photosynthetic corals, nor to they require darkness as many believe. The reason the tend to live upside down in caves is two-fold. First it is easier to attach themselves to rockwork than to the sand on the bottom. Secondly (and most importantly), 'caves' tend to have water currents streaming through them - usually at a good flow rate. Being that suncorals have to wait for food to come to them, this method works to their advantage. More water = more food. :)

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
You are right Kathy :)
I have my yellow suncoral at the top center (middle section) of my tank and the black one is to the right of that in the open. I dont target feed it bc its right smack dab in the middle of the tank and all the currents bring it food so it takes all the work out of feeding it. :) I love when its all opened up and then as soon as I squirt it just slowly closes in on itself.

Awi your black suncorals polyps look black as well??? Mine tend to looke slightly green? I wish mine was as big as yours! Where did you get that one?

Ryan that is an awesome win you got there! Lots of nice yellow flesh between the suncorals polyps and lots of babies too! I wouldnt put it in a cave, its so much easier to feed it if its on the live rock, I think I lost some of the baby polyps too from it resting on the sand. Like Kathy said they are found hanging upside down in caves not resting on the sand.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Mine tend to look slightly green?

I think I lost some of the baby polyps too from it resting on the sand. Like Kathy said they are found hanging upside down in caves not resting on the sand.

There are both green sun corals and black ones . The tentacles on the black ones also tend to look green (depends on your lighting too).
Both black & green ones are more delicate that the yellows we tend to see more frequently, but are not rare.

Nooooo..they definitely do not want to be placed on a sandbed - it will kill the polyps :(

Marcellina

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Nooooo..they definitely do not want to be placed on a sandbed - it will kill the polyps :(

I learned this the hard way! I was told to put it directly on the sandbed. I had a little halo of baby polyps then I saw that the bottom part of the 'halo' was disappearing so I placed a shell underneath it. I had it like that for awhile but now I finally decided to raise it up and it is so much happier. I am just amazed at how the black and the yellow eat the spectum and formula 1 and formula 2 pellets. In the begining I used to overfeed :rolleyes: and the polyps looked so fat and engorged all the time LOL so now I put it on a diet :lol2:

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
well i have alot of plate lr in my tank with other plates on top so maybe ill try in a easy spot first and if i dont see it open then ill put it somewhere else, but will make sure not by sand. my balanphillia will only open fully at night which stinks. they look so simmiler but i guess not when it comes to light...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Marcellina, if I recall correctly I picked it up from Aquatic Express when they had their brick & mortar store in Ridegewood some time back. I do target feed them even though they also pick up food from the current. I do this so that they get bigger pieces that they would otherwise not get since I have alot of quick fish that do snatch up the food as soon as it hits the water.;)
They are black while closed up, but when open they have a greenish tint to it.:) I also have a yellow one that took a severe hit a couple of years ago when I lost almost all of my lps corals.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
nope. there was two auctions for it, they had a hour auction on. except they put it back on with the same pics. i got a email confermation saying i won for 33. here is the size bar of when I won.

Current bid: $33.00Retail Value: $176.00 Opening Bid: $1.00 Bid Increment: $8.00 Enter Bid: $
btn.size2.disabled.jpg
(Learn about Proxy Bidding)Time Remaining: Closed Quantity: 1 Number of Bids: 5 (Bid History) Open Date: Apr 2, 2010 09:30:00 PM EDT Close Date: Apr 2, 2010 10:18:06 PM EDT

and here is my email

Congratulations!!
We are pleased to inform you that you have won the auction #203052 (Orange Sun Coral).
Please find below the details of the auction you have won.
You won the auction for: $33.00

Please click on the below link to view auction details.
http://aquaticauction.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?sid=151&auctionId=203052

Why all the hazing about honesty? Congrats on the piece- if I was looking for a sun coral I'd hate you too though LMAO!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: