tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
No...not really. Fools gold maybe. But to many a reefer it is the first thing that comes to mind after setting up their tank and looking at their coral stocking options. People can't help it after seeing that "designer" zoa polyp going for 50$. Its extremely easy to do the math and work out polyp growth and profit.

Things are growing in the tank anyways, might as well make back some of the costs of running the tank right? Mathematically the profit margin is off the charts. Who wouldn't do it?

People start to research large scale propogation, calculate expenses, and look into extra equipment. Before you know it it really seems like a good idea to add an extra frag tank or two in your basement and your quiet peaceful hobby quickly turns into a budding business. There's going to be extra income that would cover that frag rack in the corner of your display. Frags would grow that much better in a dedicated frag tank right?

Frags start growing and you pee yourself in excitement as you count the $$ sitting on pristine white eggcrate. Multicolored branching Gold! All you have to do now is wait a few months and make a few for sale posts!

This is the way the scenario goes for many a reefer. Its been the trend for as long as i've been in the hobby and sadly with the amount of stores closing down that trend is growing. In alot of cases its also the reason for those closures. It happens in alot of hobbies and alot of different businesses. The number of small starter coral businesses opened just on MR and another reef site in the past two months easily goes into the double digits and happens every month or two. And every two months a handful of them go silent and close.

The part that alot people don't realize will eventually happen, plain and simple, is that businesses aren't for everyone and everyone else is doing it. Prices and profit calculations just based on what you payed for the coral look extremely appealing. It's when you factor in all the costs and time that you realize your not making that much. What are you going to do with your 10 echinata frags that 10 other people are selling 10 frags of as well? Damn you Saturated Market! Start adding in time and moolah wasted on no shows, pp fee's....

Anyways, Its amazing to see the correlation between the coral business and what I do as far as contracting/custom cabintry. Im amazed at the similarities between the two. Everyone thinks they can make it big after getting some work estimated and realize how much they could do it for. 10-15% clean profit off a 10k job that can be completed in 4-6 weeks is a nice payoff. 20 grand for a kitchen that costs 5k in materials alone? Lets rent a wood shop!! The problem is that alot of the companies don't realize just getting a steady influx of the 15% profit jobs is a job in itself, and at the level your starting at your only making 5% profit on a good day once your done undercutting everyone else to get the job.

How much do you think you will actually make selling that 40$ zoa frag by the time it ends up being sold? I can assure you 5% is a good profit margin that you won't see.

For everyone, the "quick buck" is the big motivator. Sadly, quick and coral don't work well together in sentences.

Last edited:

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
great post and verry true. I always rather trade, once I buy a coral I conisider it $ gone. I never try to break even or recoupe my expense. I always have a much better experience that way. I did try selling before.. its just not worth it to me I much rather the vibe that comes with a trade.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I think it's great when people grow out there tanks for yrs then set up a small prop system that allows them to frag their colonies and basically pay for the expense of the hobby and new stuff! I have bought 90% of my frags from guys like that and am happy to get really cool frags for around 20$

tenMann2

y is it floating?
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Great post. If not trying to make profit, it can at least help with the up-keep of the tank. Hobbits really can't make a living off this, they don't have the mean or the resources to do so. That is why business by wholesale, direct from the ocean and not harvest their own goods. We should all enjoy the hobby and share what we know with others ans leave the business side to those that do it for a living.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm sure some people are going to roll their eyes at this but, the fish business is not the easiest business to jump into. The price tags on some items can be enticing but when you get down into what everything costs and the risk involved you end up with a lot to juggle if you weren't expecting it. There are a lot of fish businesses that fail after only a few months, it's rough. The same could be said for a lot of other fields too though.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Sadly, quick and coral don't work well together in sentences.

And I say this with sadness because I know it's happening on a large scale with some people - it works when you hack and rack colonies, let them heal for 2 weeks and then sell them as if you grew them out - totally immoral, but it's going on right in front of our eyes everyday.

The only way propagation works, as a profit center, is if you have funding and license to receive appropriate discounting based on agricultural laws etc AND are in a region where property and rent/leasing is reasonable AND if you leverage new technology (geothermal etc). Otherwise it's not as much a money-maker as everyone thinks.

As a business, it's a great lost leader/supplemental attractor, but to generate serious revenue - not going to happen.

For those who are serious about growing corals, it's more the science and challenge behind doing so accompanied by the love of the hobby and interest in preserving the reefs that pays off.

My .02

House

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I always find "frag tanks" amusing... A frag tank with 20k lights isn't a frag tank, it's a display tank.

When I find the person that runs a 6500k light over their frag tank, I'll believe that they're trying to actually grow out frags. Sure it looks terrible, but the growth is astonishing.

LatinP

Look at my bare bottom!
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
And I say this with sadness because I know it's happening on a large scale with some people - it works when you hack and rack colonies, let them heal for 2 weeks and then sell them as if you grew them out - totally immoral, but it's going on right in front of our eyes everyday.

The only way propagation works, as a profit center, is if you have funding and license to receive appropriate discounting based on agricultural laws etc AND are in a region where property and rent/leasing is reasonable AND if you leverage new technology (geothermal etc). Otherwise it's not as much a money-maker as everyone thinks.

As a business, it's a great lost leader/supplemental attractor, but to generate serious revenue - not going to happen.

For those who are serious about growing corals, it's more the science and challenge behind doing so accompanied by the love of the hobby and interest in preserving the reefs that pays off.

My .02

House

^ This...

But if you want I'll give you the short version... don't quit your day job!

tentacles

cephalopod enthusiast
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
great post and verry true. I always rather trade, once I buy a coral I conisider it $ gone. I never try to break even or recoupe my expense. I always have a much better experience that way. I did try selling before.. its just not worth it to me I much rather the vibe that comes with a trade.

agreed 100%. If I lose the coral, so be it, but I enjoyed it while I had it, and I reassess whats going on in my tank to figure out why I lost it/ try to prevent future losses. If it grew well and needed pruning, and I can trade away the 'clippings' to other people for things I don't have? Awesome. I really fail to understand the people who buy corals to hack them up in order to recoup their investments (especially with expensive corals). I am not impressed that you were able to get your hands on a 2"x2" ultra LE chalice, then chopped it up into four pieces to make money; I'm impressed when you patiently grow it out into a beautiful colony.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: