reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Hey guys,
For whoever knows me they know of my creative ways inside and out in this hobby...so I figure I'd share this here first before I start a tank thread.
To start the only thing I bought for this build was the rubberized paint for the steel stand and a box of screws(that I really didn't need)the metal stand I received from a member for free(unless you want to count some of the overgrown corals i fragged for him)the stand was for a 55 gallon with the measurements where 48"x12"x24" high (I think)now this is for a 60 cube with the measurements of 24x24x24..some of my Ironworker friends here will appreciate the work that was done next.
I cut up the 55 gallon stand to the size needed and welded it all back together.after that was done I wasnt satisfied with the height so I found some scrap 1inch angle iron on the job and cut all 4 legs added about 10 inches to the height.so far this cost me nothing!now your probably wondering why go thru all this trouble making this out of steel rather than wood,well...like I started this off saying I like using creativity in projects...but more importantly if I used wood I'm limited to space for the sump and I didn't want to oversize it to compensate for my sump...anyway enough with the details and the jibba jabba...here's some pics!!!and remember so far this cost me nothing but time!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,032
Last edited:

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Took out the grinder with a wire wheel on it and went to town!the stand is painted with rubberized undercoating that cost me 1.99 a can...I'm sure whoever looked at this so far isn't impressed and probably saying"who the hell would go thru all this trouble and details about it for a metal stand"well if you know me than you would know I'm not even 1/4 of the way done!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,010

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
Wonder no more!!!going with a rustic look .this is the back and side so far.the other 2 sides will have doors to have easy access to the sump.all the wood I'm using is from pallet wood that can pretty much be found anywhere and the best part.....ITS FREE
Every piece of pallet wood that I used was cleaned and soaked in a 5 to 1 ratio of water/bleach solution to rid it of any bacteria( cellulitis is painful trust me)
Total cost to date. $3.98

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 996
Last edited:

Rob&Gab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
OHHHHHH YEAAAA BOYYYY!!! icant wit too see this 60cube. Great price on this stand and i like the look.! you gonna leave it like that or stain the dressing?

reefer4eva

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
282   0   0
The wood is on the inside of the metal frame..it doesn't matter if the feet aren't touching the ground (I think the 2x6 bottom frame can support 5 times the weight of the tank)I wanted to make it 2 inches taller.the reason I used the metal stand (if you read the first post )was to have more room for the sump without over sizing the stand with all the wood involved in doing so

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: