seminolecpa

Bay Area Reefers
Ok. Finally got through the 13 pages of this thread. Just my two cents on it. I got in on the ground floor of this program and currently have an efflo that is in its 3rd or 4th generation. I pretty much have every coral in my tank at this point in DBTC.

Aside from the obvious benefits of spreding capitive propagated corals, to me personally it provides several benefits:

1) I get a chance to meet many more reefers in my area on a more personal basis
2) I know that if my tank were to crash most if not all of my beloved corals are out in circulation and likely could be easily gotten back again
3) I get a chance to see what some of my corals will do and looke like in other peoples tank

A good example is when one of our big contributors recently had his whole tank crash. People were coming out of the woodwork to not only replace the corals he had donated but much much more.

The one important thing about this is that there is a "debt" to be paid by receiving these corals. I have found that as these are repaid your reputation for returning builds and you get bumped to the top of the list for some of the more exotics. People feel more confident that you can both help the coral thrive as well as return it.

Looking forward to seeing how it does in your club. I hope to be a big contributor.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Before those guidance is posted, I think a new forum is in desperate need. It's already taking all the front page coverage and it's hard to see any other issue in reefing being discussed unless we dig a bit

Josh will be working on this, Randy with the help of BAR has been drafting up the guidelines. we had plans to do this in the future, just not this fast :lol:

DevIouS

- Untitled -
It's really great to see that this is starting to take place & also seeing alot of members stepping up with some nice pieces.
Now I feel guilty that I sometimes sell.:happysad:
Sometimes you don't even think about it. One can get caught up in the "I have to get that coral crazy" hype & forget the point of the hobby. The DBTC seems to bring it back to the good ol' days. Thanks for the wake up.
I usually try to off-set the cost of new coral I acquire (we all know this is an expensive hobby).
Anyhow, most members here usually sell way below what the piece goes for (retail) & if available.....supply freebies. Good to see that there can be a lineage & it will be shared amongst the community.
I do have my fair share of "free" corals floating around & I would hope if anything would happen I can get a frag back.

I would love to see more trading take place as well....

I really hope the DBTC is here to stay & doesn't fade away. Keep it going MR crew. Great job!

PS:
Great thread John. You inspired a movement.

tuberider

Bay Area Reefers
That's how the BAR DBTC got started, nothing fancy. It's only been real recent that we've been offering up the goods since the program is ironed out a little, and like Bryan (seminloecpa) said you get to know people better, and can give frags out with a little more confidence.

Think of it this way, you pass on some GSP to someone, that's one less coral from the reef, and a lot less fuel to get the coral to its destination

In the guidelines somewhere, could we include something about future tracking of the frags? i.e. when people are ready to frags the ones that have been given out, then should be posted in the original thread or the original thread should be linked in the new post. Or something. :)

In the guidelines somewhere, could we include something about future tracking of the frags? i.e. when people are ready to frags the ones that have been given out, then should be posted in the original thread or the original thread should be linked in the new post. Or something. :)

Yeah we need to work all that out, but as long as folks aren't "chop shopping" the frags they receive we have some time.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
OK... I got a question. I post up 2 head of green hammer and Jay wants them.... afterward he posted a red micro that I'm interested in... Now would this be a trade? and not acceptable by the few DBTC guildlines?

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
I have a bunch of it so I can do 4 small bags or two bigger bags. So you wont be the only one getting it, not sure if this helps just wanted to throw it in there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: