Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Ming, from what I understand it depends on what the person you get it from requests, and you agree to.
For example, I chose to state that the zoas I am donating are to continue to be donated never to be sold. I can only hope that my wishes be met. I'm sure not all will hold to the agreements.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
With all the questions regarding what if "x" happens, I think people are missing the point as far as the "rules" go. At the outset there are no rules...period.

The person offering the frag has control over the offering. In the rules I wrote out, the coral and frags needs to stay within the DBTC, other offers only require the first two frags to stay within the DBTC and then the recipient is free to do whatever they want, including selling them at that point.

If the person who offers the frag doesn't like vendors receiving it, then they don't have to give it to them.

There is nothing to prevent someone from not following the rules, except for the fact that if this becomes known they are likely to piss people off and therefore less likely to receive something in the future.

Don't be so concerned about "what if", offer some corals to the program and draft the rules the way you want them to be. I am sure that if you have a particularly good set of rules, people will adopt them in future posts.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
thanks Matt, that's a good explanation.

I'll add that the DBTC rules once set are not meant to be broken.
If you can't adhere to the rules do not ask for and take the coral!

I'd stipulate in each thread that people new to the program read and understand
the post the Randy made explaining the overall guidelines. We want the program to work and take off, but we do not want there to be any misunderstandings of the kind we often see in the selling threads. Please lets keep the DBTC program drama free.

KathyC

I think the last 2 posts above are EXCELLENT in explaining how to keep this simple yet fair.

"DBTC for Dummies" :)...said in the nicest way!!

latino277

Advanced Reefer
People donating should take the time to confirm (via PM) that the person getting your coral really does understand the rule you setup. This will lead to less confussion and drama.

Last edited:

tuberider

Bay Area Reefers
People donating should take the time to confirm (via PM) that the person getting your coral really does understand the rule you setup. This will lead to less confussion and drama.
Good point, at BAR we've been toying with the idea that in order to participate you need to have a tank thread, especially when it comes to X-treme. That way people become more interactive with their setups.

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
Good point, at BAR we've been toying with the idea that in order to participate you need to have a tank thread, especially when it comes to X-treme. That way people become more interactive with their setups.
Which I've always opposed. If i want to give away my coral, and I'm conscientious enough to do it through the DBTC program, it should be up to ME to set the qualifications. If i only want it to go to someone with a build thread, I can specify that in my offering. If i want it to go to a DBTC virgin (yes, I've done this) then I should be free to do it that way. Leaving the flexibility in the system gives me the greatest options as a donor and that's what I like. Just my 2 cents...

tuberider

Bay Area Reefers
I brought up as an DBTC X-treme issue to address latinos point, we've had new people come in and straight up ask for the nicest frags right away. Some of those reefers could be way more advanced than I, without info that is difficult to determine.

I am in favor of the the giver making the criteria, but when it comes to rarer more desirable coral of which I have given out many frags of, it is difficult to determine who would do the best job of propping that coral.

A tank thread really helps, and you of all people know how laid back I am about contributing frags, but when it comes to some of my more rare items I spread I wanna know I can get a peice back rather than have to give another piece. Basically if I can see your tank and know it is established and thriving chances are better you are going to get the frag.

bookfish

Advanced Reefer
I agree, IF I was ever to offer up, oh...let's say a frag of the Wonko the Sane bowerbanki in the DBTC program, the list of qualifications would be as long as my arm and would include not just a tank thread but probably a visit to the potential new home. On the other hand, you could probably get the next new polyp it creates just by asking...
ps. are you going to BACFM? I got a nice lobo hemprichii that has too many heads.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Russ, did you just make up a word? and use it to describe the head of Pratts writing center :lol2: oh the irony.

tuberider

Bay Area Reefers
I agree, IF I was ever to offer up, oh...let's say a frag of the Wonko the Sane bowerbanki in the DBTC program, the list of qualifications would be as long as my arm and would include not just a tank thread but probably a visit to the potential new home. On the other hand, you could probably get the next new polyp it creates just by asking...
ps. are you going to BACFM? I got a nice lobo hemprichii that has too many heads.
BACFM? Lobo? I'm going now:tongue1:

I'll be at the BAR booth all day talking about DBTC, and how cool it is that our East Coast brethren have decided to spread the word, and they to will now have a "line for free coral". I will occasionally pop by the Reef Nutrition booth along with the RHM booth to loiter.

Thales

Advanced Reefer
Staff member
Sad. I don't know if i'll make it to the BACFM. Three weekends of all reefing all the time might be too much!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: