latino277

Advanced Reefer
Hey guys,

I was going through some of the magazines I got at the swap and came across this "Reef Hobbyist magazine" In it is this articale called "Don't Break the Chain". It discribes a program that our friend out in the west coast (BAR - Bay Area reefers) that was created to help prop coral for free!!!!

The basic Idea is that someone would "Donate" ( for lack of a better word) to a hobbiest a frag for free with the Idea that any frags that come form this colony will also be "donated" to another reefer and continue the chain.

Well, now the question, What would it take for use to start something similar? This is a good way to Prop some of those hard to get Corals with out stressing the envirnment. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
There is no way this would happen on MR. Unless we hand picked people who were trading and propogating, which won't happen because people who didn't get picked would be pissed and cause more problems. Would also see alot of the stuff thats "in the chain" go on ebay or RC for sale. MR member base is too large and too diverse on tank types and such too.

But. there's no real reason why this shouldn;t have happened, and im sure its been around on an honor system already. Most people who visit other peoples tanks back in the day usually walked home with frags. You can always see awesome large colonies of different/rarer stuff in peoples tanks that they have never posted for sale. =0)

It all depends on the mentality of the reefer. And look at the amount of people here that join just to use the for sale threads.

By the way latino. Its possible but the "Frag Swaps" we have are completely different than most SW Reef clubs swaps. Noone really trades or swaps coral at our swaps. Its more like a Frag Flea Market. Most other reef clubs offer trades for the stuff they got or get.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Agreed To A Degree With Tosiek, Would Love To See It Happen, And I Have Been Know To Give Other's Piece's To Let Them Grow Out Or As A Back Up If I Ever Have Tank Problems, If The Piece's Is Big Enough I Like To Pass A Piece Along For Safety Sake Plus The Other Person Gets A Piece As Well. But You Have Alot Of Greed In The Hobby, I Would Be Down To Do This Myself With Other's Even If It Turned Into A Smaller Group Of People Trading Frags Out For Other Frags. Maybe Ill Go Home Take Pic's And Post What I Have To Trade Out, But Then Again A Piece That Cost Me $80 For A Frag Wouldnt Want A Orange Digi Back, So Thats Where The Problem Come's In As Well. Who Knows Maybe Ill Jump On Their Site And Just Have To Ship Stuff

There is no way this would happen on MR. Unless we hand picked people who were trading and propogating, which won't happen because people who didn't get picked would be pissed and cause more problems. Would also see alot of the stuff thats "in the chain" go on ebay or RC for sale. MR member base is too large and too diverse on tank types and such too.

But. there's no real reason why this shouldn;t have happened, and im sure its been around on an honor system already. Most people who visit other peoples tanks back in the day usually walked home with frags. You can always see awesome large colonies of different/rarer stuff in peoples tanks that they have never posted for sale. =0)

It all depends on the mentality of the reefer. And look at the amount of people here that join just to use the for sale threads.

The DBTC program is a fantastic, ground breaking idea, and one which we are anxious to explore. BUT, as Tosiek indicates it might be difficult to replicate here on MR as our culture and mode of operation is VERY different than that of BAR. Still, if there are enough people interested ( and I'm sure there are) we should be able to find a way to adapt this idea to our structure. That said, to do it right requires real effort--- there is paper work, tracking stuff, monitoring etc.

For those who don't know, as a first step, rather informally, several MR members sent a box of frags to BAR for their swap and they reciprocated with a huge box for us. These are being distributed to those who sent stuff West and into the tanks of Advanced MR members under the agreement that they will grow them out and pass them on. As the swap madness dies down, let's see where we can go with this.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Well maybe its time to change some of culture here. There has to be a way to get this off the ground and i'm sure we can find a way... also... I think it would be fair is they sell some frags but them have to give some away as well. IE... you grow out one of these frags and your able to get 3 frags from it... you give one to this program and do what you wish with the other three.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Rick, I think you missing the Idea a bit, even tho I do get were your coming from. The idea is to give Not to receive in the hopes the the person you give will do the same with that piece wether it be a digi or a very rare acan. Maybe we should start with a small group that can be trusted to pay it forward. again.. I think the Idea is to give something back... not all of you frag should go to this program... just a fraction.

You also have to keep in mind that the corals in the program are LE's, rare finds, oddball collected coral, rare color morphs. Stuff you can't find anywhere really or stuff thats not available or collected anymore. I only know a handfull of people still getting corals like that or have access to them.

There has to be some worth to whats beeing traded. =0) Its not like you hand in a blue tort without any proof of lineage of some kind.

Like Randy said there is alot of paperwork and stuff involved in this and alot of it is tracking the coral and where they came from. Alot of people can't prove their tyree's are really tyree here on MR, as an example.

GreshamH

Advanced Reefer
Just so you all know, MR is the first club to join BAR's program (DBTC) and we all in BAR look forward to continuing the relationship as well as expanding it :) There where two BAR members present at the swap, Rich (Thales) and I and I fully expect more will be attending the fall swap. BAR only does one swap a year, but we exchange DBTC frags daily. At first I felt similar about how the program would work within our own club as some of you have stated about how MR works. I fully believe MR can not only handle the program like BAR but will also excel in it. You just need to get over the hump them bam :D It becomes kinda of competition to see who can kill others with their kindness. I am BLOWN away how well the program has been received and how well it has run thus far.

Just so you all know, MR is the first club to join BAR's program (DBTC) and we all in BAR look forward to continuing the relationship as well as expanding it :) There where two BAR members present at the swap, Rich (Thales) and I and I fully expect more will be attending the fall swap. BAR only does one swap a year, but we exchange DBTC frags daily. At first I felt similar about how the program would work within our own club as some of you have stated about how MR works. I fully believe MR can not only handle the program like BAR but will also excel in it. You just need to get over the hump them bam :D It becomes kinda of competition to see who can kill others with their kindness. I am BLOWN away how well the program has been received and how well it has run thus far.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Gresh:hug: I'm sure we can make it work too, but I think we need to proceed in a well considered manner, fully understanding how your program operates and where we need to make adjustments to make it work for us. As those of you who know me know well, I'm all about corals without $$$$ signs attached to them, so I'm happy to work on this. It is very exciting.

latino277

Advanced Reefer
Ok... well lets change the question then... WHo do we need to contact to get the ball rolling on this? I'm sure this will be a great thing for our community and I'm sure we have enough responsible member to do the right thing by this program.

Ok... well lets change the question then... WHo do we need to contact to get the ball rolling on this? I'm sure this will be a great thing for our community and I'm sure we have enough responsible member to do the right thing by this program.

Well, you can join the BAR site and read up on how they do things and report back to us with ideas and comments. Then just be a little patient as this is already on the radar. I would expect a separate forum for this in the not-too-distant-future.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: