J

JohnnyI

Wow.... You guys really like your skimmers! I was searching all sorts of posts on RC and found this site. Nice site by the way!

Searching for a good cost effective, low noise skimmer for my 230 gallon FOWLR. Sounds like there are many here that have tried at least a few. Anything I choose will be an upgrade from my current...WAY undersized skimmer! I thought the DAS was a decent choice. After futher reading and opinions, seems this may be too small for me as well as the quality issue.

My main limit is the height of under 30 inches. I have my tank in my home office so I must place under the stand so it isnt in site.

Thanks!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Searching for a good cost effective, low noise skimmer for my 230 gallon FOWLR.
My main limit is the height of under 30 inches. I have my tank in my home office so I must place under the stand so it isnt in site.

Thanks!

hmm 230 FOLR , cost effective, quiet, and less than 30"

deltec Turbo 1060S or the AP702, are the ones that come to mind.
2 out of 3 is not bad ;)

tacocat

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I read this whole thread. :D I really dig cali's pics of the Leaning Tower of Skimmer.

You folks know your stuff and make for interesting and informative reading. :party:

tacocat

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MRC is the only skimmer I have a pic of. This was a first generation skimmer with unfinished edges and thinner acrylic. Subsequent MRC equipment I have seen is constructed much better, but still not great. This particular MRC skimmer was ver fragile. The performance sucked also until I switched from the stock beckett housing to a PVC repair coupling. The performance increase was drastic. So drastic in fact that every MRC owner in my area did the same mod. Even with that, it was a pain to clean and keep adjusted properly.

attachment.php

J

JohnnyI

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't believe I read this whole thread. :D I really dig cali's pics of the Leaning Tower of Skimmer.

You folks know your stuff and make for interesting and informative reading. :party:

I started yesterday at lunch and got side tracked and finished up during lunch today.... :splitspin You are right though... these folks know their skimmers!

I found another that may fit the bill for me...
DDNW-250-6540 Octopus Skimmer or Pacific Imports Skimmer....
http://www.proteinskimmer.com.cn/c/cn/product.asp?classid=56

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Taco that skimmer definitely wasn't running right. Do you still use it? When the whole neck gets black you really hinder the performance. What pump is running it?

The MRC that I was running worked awesome. Performance wise it blew away the expensive needlewheel skimmers. Only thing was I ran it with a 300w pump:splitspin

Here is my MRC running dry
DSCN0986.jpg

and wet
650ccffa.jpg

but I switched to this because of $200 per month electrical savings :D
Picture110.jpg

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Jon, have you ever used the 1060S? or seen one?
That seems to be the only skimmer (other than the Bermuda) that would fit my system.

Albert, if I remember correctly you had space restrictions with your skimmer. For the money you should consider the DAS BX-3. It will handle your system and does the same job as a deltec turbo (same design) Once I figured out how to tweak this skimmer it actually performs pretty well. It's not a beckett but good enough to keep my nutrients in check on a 120 with over 20 fish.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
i dont mind paying more for the Deltec if i know it will perform well enough for what i want and be quiet and of good quality.
my restrictions are indeed space, thus the the BPS-8C and the 1060S seem to be my 2 choices. the DAS BX-3 will probably be to weak for my tank.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I understand about paying more for quality for the Deltec turbo but at double the price you're paying for the same size skimmer (8" diameter), same 3 pumps, and the same design as the DAS BX-3. Just something to think about. You can't go wrong either way. I'm glad to see you stepping up the skimmer. Your tank will thank you for it :)
To tell you the truth I hate the design of the turbo and the DAS but they work. If you're willing so spend the $$ on the Deltec then you should consider the H+S with 2 recirculating eheim pumps. PM regal he gets great prices on them (cheaper than the turbo 1060s)

HTH,
Rich

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
To add to my last comment.....The reason why I hate the deltec turbo and the DAS design is because you don't have great control of the water level in the skimmer and having three pumps to clean, which require you to remove the whole skimmer, is a real PITA!!!

J

JohnnyI

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Where's the prices on those skimmers?

I made some phone calls today. They have not arrived from over seas yet... I was told 2 to 4 more weeks out. On Reef central everyone seems to be very happy with the http://octopusskimmer.com/ The skimmer I listed above is the new larger skimmer coming out. I believe they are imported under octopus skimmer and pacific coast imports. The largest of the current is the Recirc 200. They have a 250 version and a 300 version being shipped.

alrha

Rating - 100%
85   0   0
Rich, I agree with you on those skimmers and dont see why they have to add that whole compartment to it (to include those chemical filtration chambers), i wish i could just get it as a cylinder alone like all other skimmers. the H&S didnt fit in my sump either. They do seem to be a PITA, but it seems that they would be the only other skimmer that can fit.
This is why I am interested in the Bermuda Skimmer. While I have never seen it yet, the size is perfect, so if it can perform as well as the Turbo 1060S and is half the price, it would be a good choice for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: