dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i have 4 tangs sail fin/yellow/hippo/powder brown and none of them eat sea weed/ nori/macro i had a friend come for some frags and he ask how often i feed the greens and i siad never and he was amaze that my tang are healty and they dont eat the greens is this abnormal or other peeps have similar story ??

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you've fed them other things they probably wouldn't eat the Nori when you place it in the tank, as they're not accustom to eating it. As for them not getting algae in their diets, well you'll find that most of the food that you're feeding them contains algae in it, so they're getting the algae that they need that way. I have some very large Tangs, and I do fed them Nori sheets, but the major of their diet comes from flake and pellet type food, which all contain algae.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Well if you can get a small tang you can train it to eat nori in QT. Tie the nori with rubber bands to your algae magnet. Let it pick at it.

Once it is trained transfer the tang to DT and do the same thing with magnet and nori. It would not be long before other tangs start eating nori with it.

My wrasses eat nori forget Tangs and Angels. :)

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The flakes and pellets are the real thing, just grinned up with other things and in a different form. I use to feed my tangs a couple of sheets of Nori a day, which would be gobbled up in a matter of seconds, but now I mostly just fed spiralina flake and various different type of pellets. My tangs are very large, fat and health from that diet.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
sunny that a good idea i used similar tactics to get my clowns to host but as far as the tang not getting the greens i dont mind that one less thing i have throw in the tank i try to keep its simple and what work for me i just stick with

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Yes, they're pretty large, the two very large ones swallow Formula One and Two cube whole. lol

I stop with the Nori sheets as I could never put enough in a day where it would be enough for them. I concentrate on the flake and pellets now instead, though at times that doesn't seem enough either.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Yes, they're pretty large, the two very large ones swallow Formula One and Two cube whole. lol

I stop with the Nori sheets as I could never put enough in a day where it would be enough for them. I concentrate on the flake and pellets now instead, though at times that doesn't seem enough either.

Which flakes are you feeding if you don't mind me asking?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I feed them O.S.I Spirulina Flakes and Spectrum Thera A+ pellets. I also something feed Formula One and Two Flake and Pellets. The biggest problem that I'm getting with the O.S.I Spirulina Flakes is that after a while the water gets a greenish tint to it. This goes away when I do my monthly water change and clean out the filters.

Last edited:

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
I have tangs, wrasses and angels and they all go crazy for the algae sheets. Here is a tip: buy it at an Asian market. It is about 1/10 the price of the ones they sell in LFS's.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I've always fed Nori sheets..
The latest tang addition PBT was paying the Nori no attention, until the Majestic started eating it. Now they all are eating it. PBT, YT, FLame angelfish, tail spot blennie, and of course the Majestic.

Funniest thing is the large 2" hermits climbing the net to eat the Nori.lol

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I tear a pc of nori off then just drop it in the DT. It usually floats around until the powerheads get hold of it, then in small pieces its distributed around the tank. That's when my tang springs into action and starts to feed on it. No vege clips or anything like that.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I feed them O.S.I Spirulina Flakes and Spectrum Thera A+ pellets. I also something feed Formula One and Two Flake and Pellets. The biggest problem that I'm getting with the O.S.I Spirulina Flakes is that after a while the water gets a greenish tint to it. This goes away when I do my monthly water change and clean out the filters.

Thanks Marrone. This is the reason I asked. I have tried the formula 1 and 2 flakes and they almost turn into powder in the box after sometime. At that point they are just no use and add waste to the tank. I will try the O.S.I flakes and see if they are any better.

SethKim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
IMG_0216_zps9e902692.jpg.html

Wow, I have the opposite problem...My Blonde is 100% vegan, only eats Nori & lettuce.
I've had the fish since Nov 1, '12... its been three months and no change in its behavior...
She's not losing weight or anything, so I now accept the fact that she is a picky herbivore and so I make sure that there is enough green for her and everyone else. All habitants happy... except me :anger2:

With recent Ich outbreak in my tank, I observed that all my fish got ich except the Blonde...so there could be correlation between protein food and ich

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: