duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
So I went out and picked up some clams for my new copperband. Nothing really in the tank for it to pick on. So I went and got clams from the grocery store. I don?t want my other fish to demolish the clam by breaking it open. So my idea is to drill a hole in its shell just big enough for the copperband to get its beak in. Anyone ever try this? Had copperband a before that never gave me a issue eating. So not a pro on the correct way to go about having eat a clam

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I'm about a month too late, but that probably didn't work, copperband doesn't have any method of chewing, it sucks in whole prey, so the tough clammy meat won't do it. Oysters and baby mussels on the other hand... I believe if you had a clam just lying on the ground, it may try to pick at the mantle, guess you saw that already.
If it did go for the clam, what you need to do is fill the clam shells, with a frozen blend of clam, shrimp, etc, finely chopped in the blender. that will get it's attention. Fill the paste into the 2 shells, then close it up so only his mouth can reach in.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: