Killarsox

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.9%
16   2   0
I believe they are illegal to own. I read a very interesting article about DEC/Local Authorities raiding a guys house because he owned multiple fish that were illegal to pocess, a snakehead being one of them. I'll have to try and dig up the article.

Bryceandmandy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
They are illegal to own or sell. See the river monesters episode or the nat geo special fishzilla. Snakeheads are smuggled into the usa and have become invasive, theyre found from baltimore/ dc where they were first discovered to arkansas. I read the annual nj fish and wildlife newsletter and it stated that they are now found in the lower tributaries of the delaware river.

ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
anyone know of where i can find some locally?

I can! My buddy...he is a cop, he has some, I'm sure he would love to sell them to you in a dark parking lot. Don't worry about the van of friends he comes with!

They are 100% illegal. In new jersey at least. Almost positive soon all over U.S. I know some asain food markets sell them because it's an old Chinese remedy, but that's it. Years ago you could buy babies for a few bucks. now.... You WIlL be fined if you are caught with them. I spoke with a distributor about them and he laughed at me and said "You will never....ever see one for sale in a pet store. and if you do, and he is caught, enjoy being one of his last customers, because that's the last time he will ever be in business if the word is spread... thats how serious it is..."

Everyone keeps them in tanks, then they outgrow the tank, and people release them into lakes and the breed spreads and wipes out lakes, streams, rivers, ect. The people have to actually poison the whole lake and kill all fish on it, just to guarantee the death of snake heads.

You don't want on, why would you? So you can have an aggressive fish? Why a snake head? It's ugly, cannot mix anything with them, and expect MEAT. Not a simple feeder gold fish. I'm talking comets, frogs, mice, rats, ect. After every feed, you will have to do a 55-75% water change because of the blood in the water. Piranha, dempsey, devils, cichlids, anything like that are aggressive, nice, have some color, and LEGAL to own.

And last to add...I think it's upwards of 15,000 dollar fine?

Good luck...

Last edited:

rebelson

Shatter your reality
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
i can! My buddy...he is a cop, he has some, i'm sure he would love to sell them to you in a dark parking lot. Don't worry about the van of friends he comes with!

They are 100% illegal. In new jersey at least. Almost positive soon all over u.s. I know some asain food markets sell them because it's an old chinese remedy, but that's it. Years ago you could buy babies for a few bucks. Now.... You will be fined if you are caught with them. I spoke with a distributor about them and he laughed at me and said "you will never....ever see one for sale in a pet store. And if you do, and he is caught, enjoy being one of his last customers, because that's the last time he will ever be in business if the word is spread... Thats how serious it is..."

everyone keeps them in tanks, then they outgrow the tank, and people release them into lakes and the breed spreads and wipes out lakes, streams, rivers, ect. The people have to actually poison the whole lake and kill all fish on it, just to guarantee the death of snake heads.

You don't want on, why would you? So you can have an aggressive fish? Why a snake head? It's ugly, cannot mix anything with them, and expect meat. Not a simple feeder gold fish. I'm talking comets, frogs, mice, rats, ect. After every feed, you will have to do a 55-75% water change because of the blood in the water. Piranha, dempsey, devils, cichlids, anything like that are aggressive, nice, have some color, and legal to own.

And last to add...i think it's upwards of 15,000 dollar fine?

Good luck...

+1!

mic_1011

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
lol, i was asking for a friend of a friend who was telling me about them. he had some a while ago but accidentally killed them. now he wants more. i'm into salt, used to do fresh piranhas but gave that up. ya'll are crazy.....funny. nice vid too! but not my cup of tea. the most vicious thing i would buy now is a shark egg but i got a long ways to go to that 1000 gallon tank!

ed51802

hvac-r tech
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I catch these all the time down in
Fort lauderdale in my mother inlaws back yard. We use leftover steak. They are no good since they eat baby bass and just about anthing. During spawning season they become even more aggressive while protecting there 100+ babies. Dec says you should kill them when ever they are caught. I have about 15 under my belt the largest about 3 feet long. But every time i m down there the snakeheads are always there no matter how many I kill and that's just one canal in southflorida

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: