partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone!
Im going to go check out tanks today so Im sure I will be coming home with a tank. So that means I will be ordering things like substrate hob filters heaters and additives I might need. Since this will be my first fw planted tank I have no idea what Im doing. Let me give you the stats of what Im wanting and maybe you all help guide me. Im thinking between 40-55 gallon with low light plants no c20 have no idea what the best substrate would be Im thinking flourite? Can I mix it n with reg sand or gravel? what additives to use? I know I want driftwood and Ill need a heater and all that. Will I need to add a small power head for flow?
I know I need between 1.5 and 2 watts of light per gallon unless I go with a tall and then at that point Im lost?
Thanks

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
For those tanks dimensions, you can get a 2 bulb 48" t5ho fixture to achieve the low light set up you want. Better if you can do the 4 bulb fixture.

For substrate, You can mix it but better is you have the bottom layer maybe regular gravel and flourite to cap it off.
Try to search for mineralized top soil on TPT as this is somewhat a cheaper way to go about filling in a bigger sized tank, no ferts dosing(well until the MTS runs out which maybe years). This will be one of those really low maintainance tanks once set up.
Filtration and flow can be done having 2 HOBs on both ends of the back side of the tank or you can go with a canister filter and having a spraybar run the length of your tank.
One HOB and a powerhead will also do. For a HOB, go with the aquaclear.
As for additives I think i mentioned a few in your other thread already.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jeff
Im going to start a build thread I bought my tank but have to order the rest tonight Ill prob order all of it from foster and smith Ill have to take a look at all the good things you have suggested ordering.
Thanks for all your help

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: