jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Win has good livestock and cheap price too. They usually won't sell livestock if they have some issues.
Petco has decent livestock and they do seem to be healthy. Well I've got good specimen from petco before. Just be sure to observe first the tanks inhabitants and adjacent tanks before buying at petco as there are times where some livestock are not doing good.
Pacific on Delancey has a wide range of livestock choices but they are on the pricey side.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank Wingo Ive never heard of that place? Is it over close to where you live? Thanks Jeff when you say Win you mean Wingo? I always try my best to watch the fish closely before buying but you know how lfs can be some are great some not so much but I figured if you had bought there and were recomending it you must have had good luck

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok my tank has been up and running now about 9 days. I bought some new plants yesterday not sure what kind just know the guy at the lfs told me they were low light?
Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• tanks week 2 002.jpg
    tanks week 2 002.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 108
  • tanks week 2 003.jpg
    tanks week 2 003.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 112
  • tanks week 2 004.jpg
    tanks week 2 004.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 106
  • tanks week 2 006.jpg
    tanks week 2 006.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 111
  • tanks week 2 008.jpg
    tanks week 2 008.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 113
  • tanks week 2 001.jpg
    tanks week 2 001.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 107

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Looking much better (and more full)! I would be a little worried about the taller red one on the right (can't for the life of me remember it's name). Usually red plants are higher light. The shorter reddish one on the left side should be OK. Cryptocorynes are good low lighters. Maybe a little iron supplement to help keep the red? The Hygro (one behind the driftwood on the left) may not do well in low light either but it's a really nice plant.The Anubius is very nice. Nana I think? I really like the frilly Java Fern next to it too. Really looking great, keep it up!

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Howze the sales man told me they were all low light. I hate that when they misguide you. I do add a supplement plus I did buy fert tabs and put 3 in. The plant tucked between the two pieces of drift wood is called a temple plant he said it would grow anywhere.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Eh, probably not a case of misguiding, more like they just really don't know. I didn't notice the red sword befoe either (maybe a Red Rubin? Not sure) but that may not fare so well either. The Temple (also called Hygro) may be OK but I always found it to be higher light. Sounds to me like you just need to upgrade those lights! ;)

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Howze
I just bought the lights so thats not going to happen for awhile my partner would kill me. the salesman told me that red plant in the left hand corner was a Anubius. OMG its so bad when you dont know for yourself and have to rely on sales people. Ive been going to this lfs for at least 10 yrs and hes been working there the whole time he should know or ask someone who does.

Last edited:

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
The back stem plant looks like Bacopa monnieri. It may do in the current light but will grow better in medium light.
The red stem plant you have looks like Ludwigia palustris. It needs medium to high light so it might be a bit difficult to keep it in your current light set up.
The small crypt in the left foreground will be doing ok.
Yep dosing with iron as howze01 said will definitely help you maintain the reds.
The red leaf plant on your left I'm not really sure of but looks like a Red diamond sword. it needs medium lighting though.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jeff
I have 2 watts per gallon hopefully that will keep them alive. Im not expecting them to grow fast and would rather if they dont but if they will just stay alive and look nice I will be happy. Did you notice the plants I got from you? They look really nice and there and I think I did a good job sewing them onto the tree and rocks esp since it was the first time ive done that. How often should I dose with Iron?

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Yep saw the java fern trident and the moss. =) The moss will eventually creep through your driftwood and cover it up.
I just use the rootmedic + iron root capsule for my red leaf crypt and rootmedic liquid macro and micro ferts (which already has iron in it).
Micro ferts contain the iron needed. But there are other iron supplements available.

What ferts did you get for your tank?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: