partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone!
I set up my tank a ccpl of weeks ago a 36 gallon bowfront. I have live plants and drift wood in the tank and 3 zebras. My tap waters ph is off the charts as high as it can go. When I bought the tank the salesperson said I needed ph 7.0 so I used it to set up the tank and the ph dropped to 6.3-6.4. After hearing from several of you I stopped using the ph 7.0 so I only used it once. Since then I have done several water changes to get the yellow from the drift wood out of my water and my tank is still at 6.3- 6.4. I want to star putting fish in next week and Im worried my ph is too low? I have tested different times of day and its always pretty much the same.

budddman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
+1 twisted knows what he's talkin about I was just going to tell you the same thing.

Most fish from the amazon will thrive even with the tannins in the water...they actually like it. Look into ram chiclids and my favorite apistogrammas (might be off on the spelling)

Sent from my Droid using Reefs

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thanks Twisted and budddman
I LOVE rams but from my reserch they are diffacult and like lots of water changes. Same goes for Discus plus they would need a bigger tnak. I did research on angels and also like them but they would kill my shrimp( i think rams would as well) I will check out the apistorammas. I also like dewarf gramies(sp) but I guess they are diffacult as well.

budddman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Water changes are very simple, maybe one a month for fw. Apistogrammas are small enough that they won't eat your shrimp. Angels most definatly will. Rams are not very difficult at all. I don't know what kind of filtration your running but one product that helped me a lot was seachems purigen. Made the need for water changes drastically decline.

Sent from my Droid using Reefs

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
If you ask me, with low pH you're choices are easier. Any of the small Tetras would work well. There are tons to choose from and IMO nothing looks better than a big school of Cardinal Tetras. I would think that with Crystal Shrimp Rams or Apistogrammas would eat them up. Ghost Shrimp or the Amanos would be safe though. You'd still be OK with Rasboras too.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Howze.
my concern is that this low ph is temporary and will start to climb back up and if Ive bought fish loving low ph they will die. I had thought of a school of the rummie nose(not sure if thats correct name with guppy's I dont know why I dont like guppy's but I dont. I love the neon tetras but back yrs ago when I had fw tanks I never had any luck with them they would always die.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: