partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi Everyone!
Ive been on line doing some window shopping and I ran across the Hagen Plant Natural System. I have a 36 gallon tank low tech little over 2 watts per gallon. Some of my plants seem unhappy while others seem fine. I know this could be due to lighting requirements but when I bought the plants I was told they were low light. Ive contacted Wingo and hes helping me add a little more wattage to what I have. Im new to the planted tank so the whole c2o thing is a little scary plus when it comes to putting things together lets just say its a wonder I can tie my shoe laces. But after reading some reviews and reading how easy it is to install I think even I might be able to pull it off. I know that I would prob be better off with a more expensive system but the thought of having to find a place to refill the c2o and putting together a whole system seems over whelming to me. Plus my tank is a corner tank so very little room.
Have any of you used this system? Did you like it?
thanks
Patrick

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I used 2 of them on my 55 and they were really good. As long as you keep up with replacing the sugar and yeast they worked well. The one drawback is the terrible fermented smell when you clean/change out the yeast and sugar. You only get it when you change the stuff though. Theyre not expensive though so why not try one out and see how you like it?

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The only thing you have to worry about is the pH drop at night. I didn't turn them off at night and never had any problems with it. I forget the bubble count but it was a bubble every 10 seconds or so I think. The directions will tell you all you need to know. Don't remember if it came with a check valve or not but you should throw one of them in the line too.

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The check valve is simple. You just cut the line from the reactor and put it inline there. If I remember correctly the ones they sell for plain air pumps isn't great to use with that. I think there are ones for use with CO2 that work better/longer. Could be wrong about that last part too. Maybe that was just the air tubing...... it's been awhile!

howze01

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You could put a valve in line too and just turn that off at night and that would be pretty easy. You shouldn't have to worry about it other than that though. I would do some testing when you get it hooked up though. Test before the lights go out, about an hour or two after and then in the morning just before the light go on. You should get an idea of how it will affect your pH after a couple of days or a week of testing.

jeffvmd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
100   0   0
Hey hows it going buddy? Been a while since I posted again.
You might wanna consider this Paintball CO2 system.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/115850-paintball-co2-injection-diy-setup-tons.html
It's relatively cheap (will run you $40-50 if you piece them together), takes out the hassle of always replacing your yeast and sugar every week or two, More consistent bubble rates, and usually lasts between 4-6month depending on your bps.
I actually run the same set up in my 20 gallon long at 1-2bps and lasts me about 6 mos.
I usually get my refill at stingray paintball in Brooklyn for about 6 bucks.
Running CO2 is not really that much scary when you try it. I had the same fears when I first started but once you go pressurized, you wont go back to the sugar yeast concoction.
If you think of it, the cost of buying the yeast and sugar adds up plus the hassle of mixing and setting it up.

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thanks Howze
dot_clear.gif

I went back and looked it up its called caribSea FloramaxCaribSea Floramax Planted Aquarium Substrate

dot_clear.gif
dot_clear.gif
CaribSea Floramax Planted Aquarium Substrate

Minerologically superior substrate for freshwater planted aquariums*Contains elements necessary for luxuriant aquatic plant growth*Ideal substrate for planted aquarium with cable heating systems
"Eliminate the need for laterite supplementation in planted aquariums. Floramax planted aquarium substrates contain iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium and dozens of other elements necessary for optimum plant nutrition and luxuriant growth. Floramax boasts uniform grading and high porosity to aid in nutrient delivery and plant root development. Also provides ideal conditions for the growth of beneficial bacteria that help support a healthy aquarium system. Rich, natural colors of Floramax help showcase the beauty of aquarium fish and plants. Ideal for aquariums with cable heating systems. Will not raise pH."
I checked my ph this am and it was a little bit higher it was at 6.6. I was thinking about what you had said about getting a valve to shut it off at night. Wouldnt the build up of pressure cause the tubing to pop off?

partobe

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks Jeff good to see you again!
Trust me if I thought I could assemble something like that I could. If I could just go buy one I would but I called around yesterday and the cheapest I could find was close to 200$ and they said it was really too big for a 36 gallon. What do you think about the ph? Would my low ph(6.8) cause problems for a system like the Hagen

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: