KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I have one of these to keep an opening in my ice..only 100w, so it is reasonable to run all winter long.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=w8WcTua1BKfu0gHrkdGWCQ&ved=0CH4Q8wIwAQ

You can either purchase a bubbler...oddly I have a nebulizer running on my pond as an aerator and (knock wood) it's been on there for about 2 years without ever shutting it off :) It does a fantastic job. My pond is larger than yours, so one of these might be overkill, but the point is to keep the water moving a bit for gas exchange. Depending on the size of your pond you may be able to get away with a large FW air pump with no airstone on the end of the tubing - just make sure the tube goes to the bottom of the pond.

How many fish are in your pond and have you stopped feeding yet?

A pic would be nice too :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Very nice job!! ..and that Frog definitely likes you ..lol

Where on LI are you?

Ok, you do NOT need a heater (per se) in a pond in the wintertime, you only need a device like the one linked above to keep an opening in the ice for gas exchange, so get a heater like the one I posted (on line is much cheaper than local stores for this item!!)

Likely the pond will not freeze all the way to the bottom at the depth you have yours (mine is even more shallow although it is about 2,000 gallons and (knock wood) I have lost no fish over the past umpteen winters on the South Shore.

Do you have a thermometer in there? You need to stop feeding your fish when the water temp reaches about 50 degrees as they cannot digest below those temps. Do NOT resume feeding them again until Springtime when the water warms to about 45 + degrees on a consistent basis...not even for a day! They will stay fairly motionless for the winter and will stay at the lower depths of the pond.

IF your heater ever fails to keep an opening in the ice - do NOT break the ice - the shock will kill your fish! Instead use hot water to melt a new opening (place a pot of near boiling water on the ice until it melts through - don't drop that water into the pond...) and replace your heater. Best to take a peek at the pond each day to make sure everything is going ok over the winter :)

You also can take your filter off line for the winter as any of the beneficial bacteria in there will not stay alive in the cold temps. You also do not want to circulate the water as the point is - the water at the lowest depths will be the warmest (the fish can deal with it!)..and then every few inches (for example) the water temp drops a little until it reaches just under the ice..and then the ice itself..and we know what the temp is there! Circulating the water will only make the water colder all the way to the bottom of the pond..and you don't want that.

Did I over answer your question? lol
:fish:

doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that was such a great answer! Thank You so much... I live out in oyster bay.

I just get stressed out and wantt to plan ahead.... i am at college right now... so i'd like to order the stuff now so when needed my dad can install it if needed He is keeping my reef alive as well!

doma25

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's nice to get such a long answer that really answers everything, so thorough! I only have 4 fish in the pond 2 shunbunkin, 2 koi...
are koi/shunbunkin dimorphic or hetersexual like clowns.. where male can become female etc

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
it's nice to get such a long answer that really answers everything, so thorough! I only have 4 fish in the pond 2 shunbunkin, 2 koi...
are koi/shunbunkin dimorphic or hetersexual like clowns.. where male can become female etc

be ready to see babies next spring. Remember not to circulate the water when it's freezing so that the bottom will stay liquid.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0

Do let us know if you have other questions - there are quite a few pond keepers here on MR :)
Koi cannot change sexes, they are what they are.
Yours are probably too young yet to try and figure out, but take a look at this:
http://www.nishikigoi-info.com/koi-care/sexing-koi.html
or this one - sexing info is near the bottom of the page
http://www.bonniesplants.com/scalation.htm

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
You can leave the filter in for now, it will be average temps after this nonsense today.
I would stop feeding the fish though. Best to check your water temp. If it is about 50 degrees, it is ok to stop feeding.

As long as you have the filter/fountain running the fish are still getting plenty of air, so no need to change that yet. Disconnect it (and EMPTY THE FILTER!!) just before we get our first freeze.
You can use a regular air pump (like they use in FW, but you want one of the larger sized ones) as an aerator for the winter as your pond isn't that large. You would not use an airstone - just use long enough air tubing and tie it onto something you can sink in the pond and let the big bubbles come up to the surface. I keep my aerator under an old salt bucket (and on top of a few flat rocks to keep it off the ground) to keep it out of water/snow/ the elements.
The heater doesn't get added until we start getting low enough temps for the pond to freeze over.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: