nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
So I didn't see this coming, but I took a pleco from Michelle's little brother that I gave him 2 years ago that was now on the verge of death because of greedy goldfish that eat all of his food.

I've had him for about a week now and he's doing much better. He is able to keep himself from floating to the top of the tank (he couldn't stay down when I got him) and is no longer flipping over to eat from the surface.

I was planning on giving the fish back, but I'm not anymore :lol2:

Want to set up a tank for just this fish, he's about 8inches long and in a 12 I had laying around.

What would be a good size tank for growing him up and what are some good tank mates?

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Depending on the species, I wouldn't put him in anything smaller than a 75g for the long term. These fish are messy and poop A LOT. Plus, they can grow to to be over a foot (again, depends on the species).

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
KRIS!!!!!!! :sigh:... a pleco should never have been housed with goldfish (which are a cold water species) as a pleco is a tropical fish.

He needs to be in a tank with a heater and proper food - think spirulina sinking tablets - they are algae eaters (and no they do not eat fish poop). They prefer dim light and like a place to hide (even if they can just get their head inside).

Before you decide what size tank to put the poor thing into - we need to ID him. What they call a 'common pleco' is a Gibbiceps pleco can reach 18-20" in length.

Does he look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygoplichthys_gibbiceps

Let us know. If not, please post a pic so we can ID him.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
KRIS!!!!!!! :sigh:... a pleco should never have been housed with goldfish (which are a cold water species) as a pleco is a tropical fish.

He needs to be in a tank with a heater and proper food - think spirulina sinking tablets - they are algae eaters (and no they do not eat fish poop). They prefer dim light and like a place to hide (even if they can just get their head inside).

Before you decide what size tank to put the poor thing into - we need to ID him. What they call a 'common pleco' is a Gibbiceps pleco can reach 18-20" in length.

Does he look like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygoplichthys_gibbiceps

Let us know. If not, please post a pic so we can ID him.

+1 I would say you need a 55 MINIMUM as pretty much every pleco gets pretty large and like Kathy said they if it's a "Common pleco" it will definitely get almost as big as that tank lol. I have seen them 24" and I had them up to 16" before I sold them and who knows how big they are now.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
He looks like this
leopard-pleco.jpg

I want to house him with some oscars eventually. Looks like he's gonna get up to 20 inches, that's a BIG fish.

The tank he was in had a heater and the temp was about 77 degrees.

Currently he's getting sunlight, so his tank is lit by the schedule of the sun. Tank is now being heated to the same 77 degrees, didn't want to change too much too quickly.

The tank he is now is definitely a temporary situation, after I move he'll get a tank for himself.

For the time I'm feeding him those sinking algae pellets, he's eating them like there's no tomorrow. I read that zuchinni and some other veggies are good for them when sliced.

Let me know what you guys think a minimum tank size would be for "Smokey" the pleco and 2 O's. And anything I can do to get him in great shape as soon as possible.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
That's a leopard sailfin pleco, the same I have. Oscars will get quite large also man I'd say a 150 minimum if you want to have 2 oscars as well. IMO not really worth it. Better off getting some prettier fish like african/south american cichlids and not having to put up such a big tank.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
He looks like this
leopard-pleco.jpg

I want to house him with some oscars eventually. Looks like he's gonna get up to 20 inches, that's a BIG fish.

The tank he was in had a heater and the temp was about 77 degrees.

Currently he's getting sunlight, so his tank is lit by the schedule of the sun. Tank is now being heated to the same 77 degrees, didn't want to change too much too quickly.

The tank he is now is definitely a temporary situation, after I move he'll get a tank for himself.

For the time I'm feeding him those sinking algae pellets, he's eating them like there's no tomorrow. I read that zuchinni and some other veggies are good for them when sliced.

Let me know what you guys think a minimum tank size would be for "Smokey" the pleco and 2 O's. And anything I can do to get him in great shape as soon as possible.

You could do a 90 for him and 2 O's...these guys(the pleco) stay near the bottom of the tank and aren't inclined to swim around much. They make excellent companions for each other. He can't be with African cichlids due to different water parameter requirements.

Zuchinni slices are fine, just be sure to put a cut in the outer skin so it doesn't form a solid circle once eaten, or peel the skin off. If you freeze it first, some say it is easier to digest (once thawed).
He will/should also eat regular staple diet tropical fish food - which will help with some of the vitamins he needs.

Is his belly sunk in? It should be round.

He will need a piece of driftwood to nosh on.

Is he really in a 12' tank right now?? Did you say that in the 1st post?
PM me...I'm sure I have some things to help you out with his arrangements for the near term ;)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I was referring to the pH, as they prefer a lower pH, meaning they will thrive better in it.
Mollies can be put in a reef tank after acclimation, but that doesn't mean they will thrive there.
Kris is looking to provide the best home for the fish, so that is the basis for my suggestion.

Pootie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Kris , you Trini. That is ah Tayta boi!! Eat it, good to curry. lmaoooo
booohahaha

But yea, as already stated, they get hugeee over a foot! They will need a large tank. I like keeping them with structure like driftwood or rockwork.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: