Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Can't recommend any FW shops, the Planted tank hobby is present in our area and there are other people in the planted side to help you out. Check out PlantedTank.net

What's your goals with the tank? Lightly or heavily planted? Low or high tech?

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
If you head out to the 11735 area I can give you some lower light plants. Use play sand from Home Depot or Loews, it's cheap and looks nice.

Kworker

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Wow appreciate the info guys. Do I use soil as well? Or just sand for low light plants?

You could use soil under then top with sand.. it woild need to be top soil without any fertilizer. I personally would get some fluorite and mix it with sand and leave it as that. For lighting you can use a shop light or get track lighting from a hardware store and use compact flouresent bulbs. I rarely do water changes on my FW, longest I've went was probably about a year. If you don't have an insane amount of fish you will have a natural process of fish producing waste and the plants cleaning up the water.

Ease of maintenance is the only reason I still keep FW. Besides the fact I find only planted tanks relaxing, saltwater is the furthest thing to relaxing to look at for me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: