SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
This is the second year in a row that when October came I lost all of my fish in my pond. Last year I believe it was a lack of oxygen as I saw them at the surface of the water a lot and their gills looked bad. This morning I woke up to three dead koi and three dead goldfish. My water seems incredibly dirty all of a sudden (clear yesterday). The bubbles on the surface are suddenly thick (I can push them around with a net). Ammonia was 0.25 nitrate and nitrite were both 0 and ph was 7.8. One thing I did notice was that overnight one of my solar lights fell off of the tree and into the pond. There wasn?t much to the light (small solar panel connected to leds) but I feel like this would be too coincidental to not be the cause. I?m not sure what my question is exactly but I?m hoping to learn something to avoid this next year. Could whatever chemicals are in led solar lights kill all of the fish and also result in this extra thick foaming on the surface. Is there something I could test for to find out if it?s something I?ve done wrong. Please help.

~1600gallon pond, also it appears as though any other life in the pond has also died. (Worms are floating around and were found dead on the rocks around the perimeter of the pond).

Last edited:

KoiJoy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve, I'm new to MR, and just read your post. I'm sorry to hear bout your fish. I've never heard of the water going bad so quickly. Have you figured out what happened?

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I have not. My best guess is that the water quality was effected by the tree I have that was dropping a lot of seeds around that time. That mixed with a massive rain storm maybe kicked up enough junk that it wiped out all life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KoiJoy

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During Fall, when leaves start dropping. I put a clear plastic tarp over my pond when I'm not enjoying my fish, to minimize the amount of leaves and needles from my neighbor's trees. Maybe something to think about when/if you redo your pond.

SteveZz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just purchased a fine mesh netting that says it keeps pine needles out. Should be more than enough to keep the seeds out of the pond. Hoping that it helps. No koi this year but I?m going to put about five goldfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: