pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm really glad we now have a freshwater forum.

I volunteered to build a tank in my 3-year-old daughter's preschool classroom and need LOTS of help planning it out. I would like to do a bit more than a few goldfish and would love to do a planted tank if possible. So far I have a 10 gallon tank and an Eheim Liberty 150 filter. Nothing else. I like the Liberty filter as it uses cartridges that are easy to change. I would prefer many small colorful fish over a few big ones.

The purpose of the tank is to help teach the kids responsibility in the care of pets so the kids will be doing the feeding and as much of the other maintenance as possible. But since the kids are only 3-4 years old the tank needs to be simple to maintain. I bring my daughter to school twice a week so I'll be able to keep an eye on it.

The lifespan of the tank will be the school year. After that the fish and plants will probably be given to the kids. There's also school vacations that last a week. Lastly there's some money to put towards this but not a crazy amount. As with reef tanks, I imagine the biggest expense will be the lighting.

Please give me ideas of what I can put in the tank, the maintenance required, and suggestions on specific products that I would need such as lights, food, etc.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You should put lots of plants because they will help keep the tank water clean. check out liveaquaria.com because they have some nice plants and fish to check out and learn about plus they have filters and such. For fish I liked Rasboras and some tetras when i had freshwater. How big of a tank are you thinking about.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Too many plants cause algae build up and require a lot of light in my opinion, a good filter, air stone, and a timer on the lights. as far as fish go. the smaller the better, try community fish, like tetras, guppies, mollies, swordtails, etc. If you need equipment I have lots laying around that I could donate. This is a good cause, I did this with my kids when they were young.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Too many plants cause algae build up and require a lot of light in my opinion, a good filter, air stone, and a timer on the lights. as far as fish go. the smaller the better, try community fish, like tetras, guppies, mollies, swordtails, etc. If you need equipment I have lots laying around that I could donate. This is a good cause, I did this with my kids when they were young.

I do need equipment. Fantastic!
I was thinking of guppies, small and colorful.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Good choice, the kids will love them , especially since they are live bearers, and they see all the little guys when she gives birth. Remember only 1 male to 2-3 females, I have seen tanks just with males too, but I would have to ask how they would get along in a 10 gallon tank.

FrostyNYC

Nano Tank N00b
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Too many plants cause algae build upQUOTE]

That's false. But moving on...

For a tank with the least maintenance possible, go with plastic plants and keep the light in the tank on for only 6 hours a day or less. That will keep algae down and the fish don't really need the light anyway. Keep the light low... less than 1 watt per gallon.

If you are certain you want a planted tank, I would go with 20 to 30 watts of lighting and a CF or T5 bulb. Over 30 watts and you're probably going to need the addition of CO2 and fertilizers so that plants can outcompete algae. You should go with low light, easy plants like java fern (needle leaf, narrow leaf, windelov, etc), dwarf sag, mosses (christmas, java, peacock, flame, etc), and anubias species. Those plants are not stem plants, so they would not require trimming to keep them attractive. An amazon sword and most crypt species would probably survive but might melt initially. You could also add some floating plants, as those are generally easy to grow. Salvinia minima is my favorite.

I would choose livebearers, like platies, guppies, or endlers livebearers. Swordtails and mollies require larger tanks and are a bad choice for a 10 gallon. The livebearers will give birth to miniature baby fish, and I'm sure that kids will get a kick out of that. Also, be sure to understock the tank. Do not get a common pleco or other high-waste producing fish. Stay away from goldfish, since they produce copious waste, eat plants, and need cool water. You can add some otos for algae eating, although they are delicate. You can also add some ramshorn snails (the red are pretty) or malaysian trumpet snails. Both will reproduce in the tank and add biodiversity. Or you could add one (just one!) apple snail if your water is not too soft and acidic.

Finally, www.plantedtank.net and www.aquaticplantcentral.com are great resources for further reading.

Last edited:

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I've started stocking the tank with guppies from a guy I met at the Brooklyn Aquarium Society meeting. I'm kind of getting motived to put some effort into the tank rather than letting the teachers and kids take care of it. The kids, parents and teachers are really into the tank and that's inspiring me. I realize that regular water changes are required and I'll do at least 2 gallons per week to start.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0

Why the need for a filter and airstone? If your getting good circulation from the filter is an airstone still necessary? I have a 1 1/2 gallon tank in my daughters room with just a small sponge filter. I do weekly 50% water changes on that one.

In the school tank I have a 10" airstone and a Liberty 150. The light is on a timer.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
If you don't mind me asking what do you have in the 1 1/2, and in the 10.
in the 10 gallon i would put 2 smaller air stones than 1 large 1, the more the circulation the better the oxygen. the Liberty filters are good, but filters tend to be expensive, compared to other hob.

pweissma

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I went with the Liberty filter because changing the filter pads is extremely easy. They just slide in and out. I'm also using this filter on a 7.5 gallon pico reef tank so I was already familiar with it. The 10g is the tank in my daughter's preschool. Right now there's a pair of guppies and 3 neon tetras. Another few guppies are coming. My daughter's tank is this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JHP7Y/?tag=reefs04-20 . For filtration and water movement I got a tiny powerhead that draws water in through a sponge, no airstone but I do change half the water every weekend. The tank has a few tiny tetras.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
The filter alone doesn't provide enough oxygen to the water, so better with an airpump & stone. It will also help with oxygen exchange.

Not so sure I would have added the tetras with the guppies as they will eat any fry the guppies produce and that may not sit well with the kids :(

fallenlordz

Cant hear you under Water
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I would suggest some guppies and a small bristlenose pleco.
Get some jave fern plants, and any low light will make it grow nicely.

Tank will pretty much take care of itself.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: