Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Okay I'm interested In trying to make a refugium for freshwater.

Let me know if I'm on the right track lol.....

1- java moss And moss balls.

2- some lava rock rubble= does not do much like live rock but it does help balance PH....

3- ghost shrimps and or some copods......yes copods can be in freshwater :)

If anybody have any idea PLEASE throw it in :) I'm trying to figure away to naturally eliminate nitrates, nutrients... In a freshwater tank that has a Heavy bio-load.

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Yep...... I looked into mangroves but they grow way to big and need lots of space. And I don't think the wife is going to give me more space :-(

They are good as they suck up lots of nutrients, and nitrates but I don't have the space for them in the stand.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Yeah, you see any plant in FW act as a nitrate and phosphate reducer cause that's what plants take from the water, then idea of refugium doesn't transfer to FW tank. Why would you have a hidden from view refugium when you can have another display with beautiful plants:) And sumps does not work in planted aquariums anyway because of the splash of water hitting the sump that would outgas the CO2 in the water. Anyway, if you're planning to do FW planted tank, I can hook you up with some plants, especially moss, as I have quite large planted tank, so LMK

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
(Tired) only on MR would people come out slick cause a question was asked!!!!!!! Then they say ask away
:-/

Anyway no it's not for a planted tank, but for a tank that will have a heavy bio-load , yes that happens in freshwater too!!! And if you find java moss or "moss balls" To Be expensive you shouldn't be in this hobby....

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
BTW : if I was to put plants in the cichlids tank that I'm doing, I do think the oscars and green terrors would make a party of them ....so yes they must be kept in a separate tank... And to say a sump does not apply to freshwater is way off!

But thanks for the encouragement :)
Yeah, you see any plant in FW act as a nitrate and phosphate reducer cause that's what plants take from the water, then idea of refugium doesn't transfer to FW tank. Why would you have a hidden from view refugium when you can have another display with beautiful plants:) And sumps does not work in planted aquariums anyway because of the splash of water hitting the sump that would outgas the CO2 in the water. Anyway, if you're planning to do FW planted tank, I can hook you up with some plants, especially moss, as I have quite large planted tank, so LMK

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
First of all, you asked a question, we gave you a piece of advice and I don't see anything offensive in my or Wingo's post so chill out. Second, I didn't say sump does not apply to FW, I said it does not apply to PLANTED tanks.
And you didn't specify what kind of FW tank you are doing so how could we help you any better?
The answer you've been looking for: No, plants won't help you reduce nitrates in an overstocked FW tank, especially one with oscar cichlids. Sure they take nutrients from the water, but algae is better doing that. Oscarsare messy eaters and produce tons of detritus, so your refugium will quickly turn into algae factory.

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Not sure whether you find my post offensive or not, if so, you read it the wrong way.

In fact, I did freshwater refugium myself and I found it very effective too. I can share my experience with you if you want.

As for the expensiveness, its a matter of personal finance and views, I use duck weed and a plant that's free, hitchhiked to my tank when I purchase other plants. It just happened that the two type of plants I used seems to be most effective(both are fast grower; one is a favorite choice for my birds; the other one is a cuisine for my cichlid, both are faster grower than java moss) there is no need to buy display type plants for a part of the system where I am not displaying. To me, moss ball is expensive when they are sold in NY generally $10 a pop and they do not multiply nor grow in size too quickly. I did not say anything about java moss, if you read carefully, because I usually gave java moss out for free.

Last edited:

yah-the submariner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
xdavmanx I've never done a refugium ,so no advice but let me know how it turns out you have my interest.

Also Smog i'm well aware it's a piggy back but i'm trying out my first planted tank and could def use any plants or moss you care to part with. They will have a loving home.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
xdavmanx I've never done a refugium ,so no advice but let me know how it turns out you have my interest.

Also Smog i'm well aware it's a piggy back but i'm trying out my first planted tank and could def use any plants or moss you care to part with. They will have a loving home.

Sure man, I can send some to you using priority mail or bring it to the swap in April. LMK

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: