James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
My school is in the middle of a pretty big tank build. We got a nice 265 (7ft x 2ft footprint) tank donated by Joe over at Manhattan Aquariums (without this, the school tank would not have been possible). Problem is our budget is not that large and we are getting quoted almost half our budget to build a stand (budget is 2k and we are getting quoted 900$ to build a simple wood stand). We originally wanted to do FOWLR but I think we are going to go with a cichlid tank because our budget is not looking so hot. Is there anyone on MR who wouldn't mind pming me some quotes for a simple wooden stand for this beast of a tank? The school is I.S. 285 in East Flatbush in case you are wondering. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

James

Last edited:

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Nothing we but thank you! As of right now we are just trying to get the stand together and then I think we will start looking in earnest at cycling the tank and getting it ready for fish. I am pretty much a freshwater noob so it should be interesting.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
James..not sure if you know my roots but I am the President of the Nassau County Aquarium Society (... shameless plug :)) - so if you need to know anything about FW ..I'm here for you.

I am confident I can also offer you assistance in getting that tank running..and mostly outfitted through donations through one of our sister clubs - the Brooklyn Aquarium Society (BAS). (another shameless plug :))
I will be seeing those folks on Friday night and will happily hold a little rally at their meeting (oh, will I owe their President big time..lol) and will see what support we can generate for you right IN Brooklyn :)

I cannot imagine they will let you down!
They have been a continuously operating club for 100 years and just celebrated their anniversary on 2/14/11. Lot's of great people there who will help out.

I will be in touch :)

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
ummm... thank you so much!I will be blogging about this somewhere. i am actually coming to that meeting of BAS with the sole purpose of harassing rich ross! ;)

lol, that is EXACTLY the same reason I am going there Friday :)
..and to champion your cause for ya ;)

We'll git- r- done for ya! :flower:

...would be cool if MR could do the stand for you though!!

saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
yo james i gotta tell you that im a wiz with the cichlid brackish water game , it was my prior tank and i have done it for years having all types from peacock cichlids to big frontosas and then some!!! so with all you have done for me and our friends in the m.r. community i want you to know that any help you may need i will supply from water buffering to the substrate and anything else you may need to know i am on deck!! so you got my number give me a buzz tonight and we will talk it over!.

lets get it done!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
You can easily mix south americans and africans I have always kept geophagus and severums with my africans. I also put africans of all types together from every lake..anyone who says they can't be kept together is wrong.

James as far as the stand why not just buy lumber from home depot and build it with the kids as a project? It's not that hard. Get a bunch of 4x4's ,6" carriage bolts and some 3/4-1" ply for the top and bottom. I made my stand like that and it is solid as anything.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: