PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 90 gallon AGA reef ready. I noticed my Durso pipe was looking crappy and I never cleaned it before so I wanted to pull it out to give it a cleaning. I used a flashlight to take a peak down the overbox and I saw what looked like silt. After searching online on what are the best ways to get that muck out, I myself came up with an idea on how to do it. I have a Proflex Sump Model 3 with one of those "pool" hoses used as a drain. After shutting down the system and letting it drain until it stopped, I unhooked the drain hose to the sump and inserted the end into a 5 gallon bucket. I then pulled out the Durso drain pipe a and like a toilet, it flushed into the bucket.

GOOD GOD MAN!!! The crap that came out, it was brown/black. Such filth. (should of taken a picture). Took another look down the overflow box and saw there was still a good amount of crap that didn't drain down. So I filled a bucket with water and dumped it down the overflow box to create another "flush" and the rest of the gunk came out. Finished cleaning the pipes and now it's a clean overflow box....for now.

Once in a while, take a look at your overflow box to see if it's also a mini cesspool. I was thinking of hard piping my drain but now I see a benefit of having that "pool" hose setup.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: