Ralphy4321

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Firstimer here, Just bought a Nano Cube 24

Does anyone know which skimmer should I get, or is the one that comes with it, is good enough.

Attachments

• p-85532-fish.jpg
    p-85532-fish.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 151

Ralphy4321

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not too sure if it comes with a skimmer. The Tunze Nano Skimmer 9002 seems to work well for it though. Is this your first salt water tank?

I read somewhere the Tunze is the best, But I read that you cannot have the top cover on it, it comes with a little plastic thing called Surface Modular Skimmer, looks like a plastic comb.

And Yes My first tank, I am trying to learn the hobby as my 10 year old son requested this for Xmas, after watching so many episodes to 'Tanked'

I bought the tank and trying to read and learn as much as I can. Currently tank is empty, except for some Live Sand and Coral, I am waiting for my Hydrometer to come via mail

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
welcome to mr,
how is the tank empty if you have live sand and coral or you mean dry coral skeleton.
if your making your own water get an rodi unit. read up on cycling the tank. good luck

Ralphy4321

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Saltwater question

welcome to mr,
how is the tank empty if you have live sand and coral or you mean dry coral skeleton.
if your making your own water get an rodi unit. read up on cycling the tank. good luck

Two questions, should I just go buy some salt water?

I was following some steps I found in instareef dot come where they had steps to start a tank

What is a Rodi, I heard the term before, sorry if I sound dumb, just started and still trying to get all the terms

I have Live sand that I bought from drfoster and Live rocks I bought from someone

jrsticks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   1
Rodi. Is reverse osmosis di ionized water you can get it at a lot of the saltwater fish stores or you can get a filtration unit. Most people use it to mix saltwater. Buying salt water can get very costly. As for a skimmer aquatic life 115 is another that may fit. Try Intank media baskets they make alot of retrofit stuff for nano cubes. But most of all Slow down and read. I had my biocube for 4-5 months before I put anything in it. Good luck and ask questions tons of people here willing to help.

Ralphy4321

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rodi. Is reverse osmosis di ionized water you can get it at a lot of the saltwater fish stores or you can get a filtration unit. Most people use it to mix saltwater. Buying salt water can get very costly. As for a skimmer aquatic life 115 is another that may fit. Try Intank media baskets they make alot of retrofit stuff for nano cubes. But most of all Slow down and read. I had my biocube for 4-5 months before I put anything in it. Good luck and ask questions tons of people here willing to help.

Thank You all, i appreciate the help, I am sorry for looking dumb, My son asked me this for xmas, i was trying to make him happy

jrsticks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   1
You don't look dumb at all. If you start the wright way your son will be very happy. Give him the tank and set it up and cycle the tank. learn together. You don't have to wait as long as I did to start but you should read as much as you can. I am new also just a year in the hobby it is addicting.

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Welcome.
In this hobby a skimmer means a protein skimmer and it removes organic stuff from the water. The skimmer that looks like a comb is just something that skims stuff off the top of the water and they use the word skimmer to make you think you are getting a real skimmer. In any case, you can either do a search on this site to see which skimmers fit. Or you could try going without a skimmer. On a small tank, if you do water changes weekly you can get along without a skimmer. The water changes should be 2 gallons a week on your setup. That will also eliminate the need for adding any supplements to your water.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: