KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I can't say it is normal to have to replace a return pump every 2 years (knocking wood...)
Are you maintain them by cleaning them every now & then? Do you keep a strainer on the intake to keep snails out of there?
What is going wrong with yours that you need to replace them..if you know?

Eheims are good return pumps. I've had good luck with Mag drive pumps as well (again knocking wood..lol)

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
not un-common for the brand, especially if not cleaned and soaked in vinegar here and there, i would suggest a ehiem or a bubble blaster pump if using internally

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
That is not normal. I have had the same pumps, running 24/7 for more than 4 years. Why are you replacing the pump. What is failing? Are they jamming from snails in the impeller, do they leak or something else. Do you turn the pump on and off often? Are you running the pump at the upper end of its head capacity?

Affordable Aquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Its common if the pump has been dry for a period of time that the motors cant spin up because they become caked with salt. You can try a few things. Run HOT water through the pump to help dissolve the salt and free up the impeller. If that doesnt work, you might have to remove the volute, as if you were going to change out the impeller. With the pump unplugged try to rotate the impeller, if was just stuck you might get the pump runing that way. If it moves freely, the motor is obviously toast. I have had to do this with pumps that were taken out of service and not cleaned well. Once they dry the impeller shaft becomes seized up. Some hot water and muscle often will get them going.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: