PhoenixOne

"Drugs are bad...mmmkay!"
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heads up on BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Starter Package...

Nov 17 of last year, I purchased BRS 2 Part Calcium & Alkalinity Starter Package and followed the instructions that came with the kit. All went well. As time went on, I noticed I was having trouble maintaining Calcium. I raised my ml/per day on my doser but still was getting low readings. (300 ELOS and 291 Hanna Checker) I continued to refill the dosing containers until I needed to make more. This time I loaded up one of BRS' vids on how to mix the 2 part. In the video, Ryan says to use 2 1/2 cups of Calcium Chloride. On the included paper instructions, it says to use 1 pouch of Calcium Chloride which makes 1 gallon. I measured the pouch and it measured 2 cups. I gave a call to BRS and spoke to Jason who was very helpful. I advised him of the disparity. He check and said that each Calcium Chloride pouch should be about 500g. I checked and the pouch is 500g. So it means the pouches are short 1/2 cup. Without asking, He is shipping me another pouch, which is very courteous of him.

Anyone experienced this? I'm curious if the next pouch will only measure to 2 cups as well.

Last edited:

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pouch arrived today and it also weighs 500g.
I'll be ordering the bulk 2 parts once the pouches are used up but as I mentioned before, this is an fyi for those who are interested in trying their starter kit. ;)
Big thanks to Jason for sending me that extra pouch.

Last edited:

PhoenixOne

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, frankly I just based it on probabilities being that there are 3 guides that say 2 1/2 cups, but by all means, both videos and the text instructions on their site could be wrong. When I switched from ESV to BRS 2 part, I didn't change my doser settings and my calcium dropped. Maybe BRS 2 part Calcium is weaker than ESV? This time around I put 2 1/2 cups of Calcium Chloride using 1/2 cup from the last starter Calcium pouch. So when it's time to refill my containers, I will be monitoring and see if I have to lower my settings and make note if it levels off at my previous ESV settings.

Edit:
Inevo, when you have a chance, can you weigh your Calcium Chloride pouch and see if it's 500g as well?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: