piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It depends on what you like. Easy to maintain or clean. What kind of fish can play a roll. Some wrasse prefer sand. Maybe a SPS tank favors more a bare bottom. But not necessary. Plus or negative either way you can be successful. You will get mixed reviews. It's just a matter of opinion. So if you like the look without sand. Do it. If you like sand than you can make it deep or just enough to cover bottom.

will424

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Bare: its easier to clean, plus you can increase the flow, more effective for the skimmer to take out gunk and also allows coralline to grow on the bottom!

Aquadicted

Bill Goody Aquariums
Vendor
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
it depends on what you like. Easy to maintain or clean. What kind of fish can play a roll. Some wrasse prefer sand. Maybe a sps tank favors more a bare bottom. But not necessary. Plus or negative either way you can be successful. You will get mixed reviews. It's just a matter of opinion. So if you like the look without sand. Do it. If you like sand than you can make it deep or just enough to cover bottom.

+1

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
bare bottom is fugly. theres nothing natural looking about it imo. But like its been said before, its all a personal preference, they each have their + and -

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Most of the ppl. have problem to control PO4, sand grain size is the question ? if is to big , will accumulate all the Detritus fast, if is to fine, you got sand all over, i consider sand a Luxury, need to be blow of Detritus all the time, then if you got nice Aqua scope and room around is fine. I run BB for many years, easy maint. i prefer to watch healthy and nice corals then watch the sand.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
bare bottom (or with a single layer of crushed coral, simply because I get messy with cleaning the glass and the sand gets into the magnet scrubbing the glass and I get scratches, no matter how carefully I tried to avoid it. I keep a DSB in the sump/refugium and am currently mounting ricordies to the bare bottom of the main tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: