adamizy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I'm sure everyone can benefit from this...
I'm mainly looking for a good place or website to buy a good amount of Hannah Checkers to make my life easier lol
But in general where's the best deals on dry goods and where's the best place for livestock.

BKLYNREEF123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
BRS had great deals last year. I got a po4 Hanna egg for $34.29 to be exact. Word to the wise order reagents with the checker it only comes with a handful. Also IMO the results are sort of sketchy.. Just my .02 tagging along to see if anyone posts any good sales I have a list of supplies to order as well.

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
So what's the goods and bads for the Hannah checkers?

Good: Accuracy, no trying a thousand different light sources to see if the colors are what you think they are, and if they're matching to the color chart.

Bad: precision, finnicky as all heck. Finger prints on the vial can screw up the reading, too much particles floating around can screw it up, if you use two different vials for the before and after readings, it can get screwed up. And the costs per test are higher.

But if you really want to know your phosphate levels accurately, that's the way to go. For me, the alkalinity and calcium just wouldn't be worthwhile since the salifert are straightforward enough and are accurate enough (and the salifert alk comes with a reference solution to boot!)

ReefWreak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Haven't read much about them, but still probably not worth the trouble. You either have nitrates or you don't. I was fine with my api kits that were basically 0-5, 5-20, 20-100. I bought the salifert kit to double check, but it's also am easy kit to get a good reading on low range nitrates too, so still not worth the hassle of the colorimeter.

To each their own though. I definitely appreciate the value for people who have colorblind or other vision issues, but for most people amd most tests, it seems not worth it.

Believe me, if it were easy, I'd drop chemical testing kits on a second. I was so excited to come back to the hobby after a 3 year break and see all of the colorimeters available. I would have bought them all instead of test kits, but after reading reviews I realized that they just aren't quite ready yet for prime time. Almost there, huge gains made, and it's fantastic that they're available to us now, but they're just a hassle.

The question is whether these new multi test kits and controller interfaces can really replace testing in general. I'm referring to the senseye amd whatever that Kickstarter one was.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: