Rating - 100%
227   0   0
depends on how much time you think you have & what you hope you can manage...comes down to what your priorities are at the moment...$450 = lots of diapers & formula a month...welcome to fatherhood! hope all goes well!!!

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Downsize if you are paying that much. Thats a lot. Are you running old school tech? Such as MH, AC return pumps, etc. You can cut down on electricity and keep the setup. Maintenance get more automated and set time during weekends to take care of it.

Smartest thing i did was set a schedule for tank time while family was asleep or about to sleep. Miss very little time with them, if any.

Brooklyn83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   1
Downsize if you are paying that much. Thats a lot. Are you running old school tech? Such as MH, AC return pumps, etc. You can cut down on electricity and keep the setup. Maintenance get more automated and set time during weekends to take care of it.

Smartest thing i did was set a schedule for tank time while family was asleep or about to sleep. Miss very little time with them, if any.
equipment is up to date, I just have way too much going on. I know if I downsize I'll just be back where I am in a year or so. I have a 250 gal with 4 radions in my living room, 150 gallon frag tank with 4 radions in the basement as well as a 100 gallon tank, with about 150 gallon sump all on one system. I've been saying I'm going to get rid of the system but it seems like it keeps getting bigger. Maybe I'll start selling frags to keep up with at least the electric bill

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
We have a baby as well.. she loves the tank and the fish. So that's something to think about. I would personally focus on tank automation and trying to minimize time requirements because to me, that was the biggest change.

As for the money, it's hard to say because we have no idea what your financial situation is. I don't pay anywhere near that for electricity but I only have about 140 gallons of water in my system. Formula, diapers, child care, it all adds up quick! Good luck though!

grsfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hey. It sounds like you have a really nice system. Kids do get expensive, are time consuming and their stuff takes up a lot of space so it really just depends on your finances etc. I have the opposite of you. I have 3 little kids and have a small tank and want to set up something bigger and am trying to justify spending more. It?s not easy because this is an addicting hobby. Good luck and enjoy the baby.

Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Hey as mentioned it comes down to your own financial situation. I have a similar set up a $500 electric bill and a 20 month old. i weathered through it - do maintenance when I can and wife is asleep and automated as much as I could. first 6 months the tank suffered, now I would not give up a thing watching her interact with the tank and fish...

Brooklyn83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   1

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Keep what you need and convert to fowlr is an option.

Our try to reduce the amount of equipment you are running, what is drawing the most electricity? If you are not keeping sps you can get away with much less equipment. And even if you have sps you can really keep it simple. Yo

I been in your situation before, took a break for 9 years because of my son.

Whatever you decide you will be back eventually :D

Congrats on the baby!

Brooklyn83

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   1
Keep what you need and convert to fowlr is an option.

Our try to reduce the amount of equipment you are running, what is drawing the most electricity? If you are not keeping sps you can get away with much less equipment. And even if you have sps you can really keep it simple. Yo

I been in your situation before, took a break for 9 years because of my son.

Whatever you decide you will be back eventually :D

Congrats on the baby!
thanks brotha

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
My daughter used to love helping me with testing the water. She was amazed by the changing colors. Now my 3 yr old likes helping me too I'd say it's a great bonding tool with your kids. If you can keep up with it then I would keep at least the display and sell off the rest. Congrats and gl!

Silkyslim

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
My daughter used to love helping me with testing the water. She was amazed by the changing colors. Now my 3 yr old likes helping me too I'd say it's a great bonding tool with your kids. If you can keep up with it then I would keep at least the display and sell off the rest. Congrats and gl!

+1. If you can get by with just the main tank. Your child will love it. I used to put my daughter in her high chair in front of the tank to watch it during feeding time. Still watches till this day.

Also she loves anything ocean related now. Even bobbit worms which cracks me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
FWIW, I have two kids and have had tanks for years. It isn't hard to keep a reasonable setup, but forget about having time to trade frags or participate in the community for a couple years. Just downsize to a manageable size until you are able to spend more time.

as for electricity, 500 sounds really high. maybe put a kill-a-watt on the system and see what is drawing so much current. (is probably return pumps and heaters using the majority of your power)

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
Get rid of Frag tank, keep the most Corals you handle easy , most of your High End , list when , baby may cry , you got a place to recover.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: