benjaminf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello folks! I just added 3 tangs and one foxface to my mixed reef tank after quarantine. After two weeks of being in the DT, they are all very healthy and despite the odd raising of hackles or a dart around the tank, everyone seems to be getting along. However, I wonder if they may have injured my female lightning maroon tang as I see scratches. Symptoms: lethargy, swollen belly, heavy 'breathing', very dark patch on typically yellow banding above and behind the right eye, rear yellow band completely grayed out, not eating. The male is fine, but lonely.
I managed to catch her 2 days ago and have done the following:
10 minute dip in Hydroplex (Ruby Reef product) according to recommended dosage
Put in hospital tank with additional aeration by wavemaker, daily recommended dosing of Rally (broad spectrum treatment by Ruby Reef), a few pellets a couple times a day to check for feeding response.
She seems a bit more active today, but still not eating and respiration is still heavy.
Hospital tank parameters as monitored by Seneye:
NH3 0.001 mg/l (ppm)
Ph 7.46
Temperature 78.9?F
I do hope to keep this beautiful fish alive for a couple decades more. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20181101_123334cropped.jpg
    IMG_20181101_123334cropped.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20181101_123405cropped.jpg
    IMG_20181101_123405cropped.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_20181101_123517cropped.jpg
    IMG_20181101_123517cropped.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 102

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Sorry to hear this, nice GSM. Hard to tell from pic but rapid breathing is usually, ammonia issue, not enough oxygen or parasites. If i were to take a guess, looks like ich unfortunately....

benjaminf

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the response heuerfan. The spots you see are due to 'floaties' and air bubbles in the hospital tank, there are no visible spots on the fish itself, only the symptoms I mentioned in the first post. Also, my DT has no measurable ammonia. Also, with my over 10x turnover per hour and over-sized skimmer, plus all other fish respirating normally, low oxygen is also unlikely.
On a similar note, is there any data on if it's ok to put a wavemaker so near the surface in a hospital tank that is churns lots of bubbles into the water? I've read that its very bad for sponges and some corals, but can't find anything about fish. Im not doing that now, but if high oxygenation will help, it's easy to implement.
Thanks fellow reefers!!!

heuerfan

Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Update: now showing 3 or 4 spots, other symptoms remain the same. Earlier Ich suggestion may be correct. However, this doesn't explain the dark patches, does it?

In my experience any color loss or discoloration either dark/light means something is wrong and is usually because of parasites or flukes.

Does he still have to rapid breathing?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: