A

Anonymous

what is the optimal lighting hours for a ten gallon refugium with 50watts of light?

mooner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get a lot of opinions on this one. Mine is to light it in opposition to your main lighting. When it's off have this one on. This will help balance out your pH swings and it will allow a "night time" for your macros.

There seems to be a debate between many on a 24 hour photo period in a fuge.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I'm leaving it on for about 18hrs. Don't know too much about the macro growth cycle. Is there a vegatative cycle and bloom cycle like terrestrial plants? If so please let me know. I was going to leave them on 24hrs but thought I might end up cooking my bugs. Such as my refugium is not currently connected to my main system, and is more like a culturing tank.

mooner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wish I knew more but I understand that macros "going sexual" can release nutrients and can be triggered with certain light period aspects. I suggest you wait for someone with more knowledge to explain more of those details. I just recall a thread that pointed out that there are several things to consider when you set up your fuge timing.

Many seem to prefer 24/7 lights and many frown on it (differing opinions, what a suprise!)

My fuge has a 16 hour photo period and I keep my few macros in a pretty high flow area. I have had good luck but I must admit I didn't take my own advice and run this light cycle opposing my main. I like to look at my fuge during the day as I have it set up with several critters that I like.

Once again I am no expert but if I had a macro only fuge and wanted to get the most out of it I would set it to come on when the mains go out and then back off when they come on. This would allow a night period and would help to keep the pH swing to a minimum. You could use some overlap as you want a 18 hour period.

Get more opinions on this one...I am just sharing my limited one here.

Gonna post this and search for that thread for you.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: