Aidansworld

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am currently a physical education teacher in the bx for grades k-5, but throughout this distant learning I have been posting videos of my 90 gallon reef to my 2-3 graders and they love it. I have suggested to my principle that I do a marine biology class for the kids. I would love to speak with someone who has experience teaching this subject to young students

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I am currently a physical education teacher in the bx for grades k-5, but throughout this distant learning I have been posting videos of my 90 gallon reef to my 2-3 graders and they love it. I have suggested to my principle that I do a marine biology class for the kids. I would love to speak with someone who has experience teaching this subject to young students
I would speak to some science teachers.. I teach Italian at a HS and I end up teaching them a little marine biology lol

D-Roms

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you
Many years ago, I taught high school bio. In my home room, I had a 20L with a young pair of sunnies. The kids loved them. Just about every day a pupil had a question about them. Taught the kids why the male had more color and was a little more aggressive. I explained why the female was a little heftier.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I was asked to "teach" a class of three year olds about sea life. I brought a live lobster, with his claws pinned of course and I let them hold it.
I also brought some SCUBA equipment, shells, crabs etc.
This was a nursery school in Manhattan.
They were engaged and asked a lot of questions like:

Um, I,,I,,I went swimming once, I mean,,Twice,, Maybe once and I was in the water up to my ,,Um,, Knees, My neck, And I could,,Um,,Um,,,Um,, swim,,,and there were ,um,,um,,,fishies,,in the water.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Theres alot of things we do in aquarium keeping that can be related to in other classes and areas. And across a range of ages too.

Theres obviously the science aspect of it. The livestock we keep, what the water is made up of, salinity, water currents, temperature and its effects. Water testing, how the equipment works, proper husbandry and maintenance schedules. Algae types and macro algae usage. Lighting schedules and coral growth. Corals, nutrition and photosynthesis. Even photography and journal keeping or experimenting with different additives/supplements.

There is something that can be applied to most age groups to expand learning and to maybe even expand a newer younger group of aquarists.

maxiwilliamson

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago, I taught high school bio. In my home room, I had a 20L with a young pair of sunnies. The kids loved them. Just about every day a pupil had a question about them. Taught the kids why the male had more color and was a little more aggressive. I explained why the female was a little heftier for best fee guide.
Marine Corps boot is 3 phases long, First Phase basically is only one thing they take you in and scrape away all the weaknesses of be being a civilian start teaching the basics of the marine corps start getting those muscles built up teaching you basic knowledge of the marine corps mission, you are issued your M-16 rifle and you start learning what every atom of that weapon does, and it’s during !st Phase that the ones who aren't going to make it usually get identified and get sent back home. Second Phase the Drill Instructor's have a platoon of solid standing tall recruits.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: