h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I was reading this thread I realized that my fuge may be doing more harm then good.

I noticed that the sand in my fuge (which is 4" deep 9" by 10") wasn't like the sand in my main, mainly the lack of algae and bubbles,it still has the worm canals, but there is a layer of what I guess is detritus over it.Thoughts?

I was thinking about cutting out the baffle I have outlined in the pic and taking all the sand and putting it in my main along with some more(main sand bed is like 2 1/5 to 3" deep with some crushed coral so I've been meaning to add more anyway).My question is if I should add the sand or just toss it, I don't really know how the sand in the fuge is working because theres no bubbles meaning no nitrate reduction(i'm guessing) but there is very little flow in that area so I'm at a loss of what is going on there.

Also tips on how to add sand to my tank. Remove rock and livestock? How do I prevent a sandstorm? and whatever other advice you have.

Sorry for the retarded writing, for some reason my text box wasn't working on paint.

Attachments

• fuge sand.jpg
    fuge sand.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 80
  • main sand.jpg
    main sand.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 80
  • fuge mod.jpg
    fuge mod.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 82

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: